CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

29th October 2023, 12:13
Tyke

Thanks, I dont think I saw him play
741 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

29th October 2023, 12:34
Grunger

I remember the name but can`t recall seeing him play - I joined as a member in 1975 so must have done!
742 of 862  -   Report This Post

parallelogram

10th November 2023, 11:41
Discussion on geysers etc. reminds me that, as a child in Scotland, I used to go out at Hallowe'en as a "guiser", i..e. dressed in scary clothing (e.g. as a witch or similar). Pronounced as in disguise. Little groups of us would go round to neighbours and, if lucky, would receive small gifts for some short recitation or performance. Similar, I understand, in Northern Ireland. It still happens but nowadays children usually have to be accompanied by responsible adults.
743 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

14th November 2023, 17:41
Parallelogram

Thanks for that, I had not heard of that tradition. We just get the trick or treat nonsense in Wigan, and though I had bought loads of sweets for callers on Halloween, I am afraid (or not, actually) that no witches, ghosts or whatever appeared this year.
744 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th November 2023, 17:46
Parallel, Grunger

I would have appreciated such visits, but there were none here too. Nor did I notice any bonfires last week, and have not been approached for a penny for the guy for many years. Are these traditions fading out?
745 of 862  -   Report This Post

chrise

14th November 2023, 18:00
"Trick or treat" has almost completely supplanted "penny for the guy" (though fireworks remain very common, distressingly for our dog).
Around here the children are very disciplined and rarely ask for sweets unless a lit pumpkin is displayed - we had the pumpkin this year but didn't get round to carving it, and only had two visits.
746 of 862  -   Report This Post

trebornotlaw

17th November 2023, 17:55
We used to have Mischief Night the evening before bonfire night, when we would go around the village lifting gates off their hinges and other silly pranks.
I'm glad that has died out now.
747 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

18th November 2023, 20:22
trebornotlaw

Thanks. The mischief night here is the night before Halloween. Some serious stuff unfortunately.
748 of 862  -   Report This Post

brendan

18th November 2023, 21:42
"If it has an apostrophe, it's supposed to have an apostrophe, then it will have an apostrophe." - Quite right:-)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67457675
749 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

18th November 2023, 22:51
When The Times had this story today there was reference to the lack of a full stop in St Mary's Street. I did read a rule once, but I can't remember where, that an abbreviation should have a full stop unless the last letter of the actual word occurs at the end of the abbreviation. Thus St Mary's Street is correct because Saint ends with t. However, Regent St. is also correct because that t is the second letter of street. So there is a nice distinction.

Mr Smith is correct (misteR), as is Mrs Smith (MistresS), though one often sees a full stop inserted.

I am glad to say that The Times leader was fully supportive of the residents.

750 of 862  -   Report This Post