CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

24th November 2023, 15:43
jigjag

It was nice to see your favourite dish in a clue in the Times today:

When one’s potentially had puddings, as breakfast sometimes served outside (3,5,3)

That reminds me - when you ordered upside-down eggs on toast, and upside down cake, at the market a few weeks ago, was the dessert served the right way up, or indeed upside down? Are you going again soon? Please let us know how you get on.
751 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

24th November 2023, 16:07
Grunger

If I remember correctly, it was pineapples with sponge on top. I dont know whether that was upside-down or not, as I have never had the pudding before.
752 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

25th November 2023, 10:52
jigjag

I think they had a little joke with you. It is baked upside-down, but should be served the right way up, with the fruit on top.
753 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

29th November 2023, 13:44
Malone

If you happen to be looking in, would you mind giving me some advice please.

Grunger has told me that my upside-down cake at the market cafe was actually served upside-down, when apparently it should been the right way up. I dont doubt that she is correct, but do you think I should complain about it? I know you appreciate good customer service, but you think I go over the top sometimes. I am going there later this week and would appreciate your comments, if you dont mind.
754 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

29th November 2023, 14:09
Good afternoon, jigjag. Yes, Grunger was correct and Chambers and I share her view - 'Upside-down cake: a sponge cake baked with fruit at the bottom and turned upside down before it is served.' If you were served a piece/slab/slice whatever of sponge cake with the fruit (usually pineapple in my eyes, but Chambers seems open to other options) at the bottom, then you didn't get what was expected. I would, however, be reluctant to complain too loudly. I'd simply point out to the cafe owner that you were disappointed with the appearance of the cake, and surely doing it the 'proper' way would have been more pleasing aesthetically? If you want to make more of an impression when you're discussing this, you could of course do a quick handstand and deliver your speech... upside down.
755 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

29th November 2023, 17:13
Malone

Absolutely brilliant!! I would like to be there when jigjag attempts his handstand. I am sure he will invite us.
756 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

29th November 2023, 18:02
Thanks, Grunger - yes, I think I could maybe even sell tickets for the event if Jigjag was up for it(!).

I know there are some very clever, techy- minded people on the Forum. Some of them would probably manage to do what I couldn't - enter my whole post upside down.
757 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

29th November 2023, 18:13
Malone - I always enjoys enjoy your badinage with Grunger and Jigjag. Do you mean like this… :-)

.uʍop ǝpısdn ...ɥɔǝǝds ɹnoʎ ɹǝʌıןǝp puɐ puɐʇspuɐɥ ʞɔınb ɐ op ǝsɹnoɔ ɟo pןnoɔ noʎ ,sıɥʇ ƃuıssnɔsıp ǝɹ'noʎ uǝɥʍ uoıssǝɹdɯı uɐ ɟo ǝɹoɯ ǝʞɐɯ oʇ ʇuɐʍ noʎ ɟı ¿ʎןןɐɔıʇǝɥʇsǝɐ ƃuısɐǝןd ǝɹoɯ uǝǝq ǝʌɐɥ pןnoʍ ʎɐʍ 'ɹǝdoɹd' ǝɥʇ ʇı ƃuıop ʎןǝɹns puɐ ,ǝʞɐɔ ǝɥʇ ɟo ǝɔuɐɹɐǝddɐ ǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ pǝʇuıoddɐsıp ǝɹǝʍ noʎ ʇɐɥʇ ɹǝuʍo ǝɟɐɔ ǝɥʇ oʇ ʇno ʇuıod ʎןdɯıs p'ı .ʎןpnoן ooʇ uıɐןdɯoɔ oʇ ʇuɐʇɔnןǝɹ ǝq ,ɹǝʌǝʍoɥ ,pןnoʍ ı .pǝʇɔǝdxǝ sɐʍ ʇɐɥʍ ʇǝƃ ʇ'upıp noʎ uǝɥʇ ,ɯoʇʇoq ǝɥʇ ʇɐ (suoıʇdo ɹǝɥʇo oʇ uǝdo sɯǝǝs sɹǝqɯɐɥɔ ʇnq ,sǝʎǝ ʎɯ uı ǝןddɐǝuıd ʎןןɐnsn) ʇınɹɟ ǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ ǝʞɐɔ ǝƃuods ɟo ɹǝʌǝʇɐɥʍ ǝɔıןs/qɐןs/ǝɔǝıd ɐ pǝʌɹǝs ǝɹǝʍ noʎ ɟı '.pǝʌɹǝs sı ʇı ǝɹoɟǝq uʍop ǝpısdn pǝuɹnʇ puɐ ɯoʇʇoq ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʇınɹɟ ɥʇıʍ pǝʞɐq ǝʞɐɔ ǝƃuods ɐ :ǝʞɐɔ uʍop-ǝpısdn' - ʍǝıʌ ɹǝɥ ǝɹɐɥs ı puɐ sɹǝqɯɐɥɔ puɐ ʇɔǝɹɹoɔ sɐʍ ɹǝƃunɹƃ ,sǝʎ .ƃɐɾƃıɾ ,uoouɹǝʇɟɐ pooƃ
758 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

29th November 2023, 18:47
Yes, Jono - exactly what I had in mind, thanks very much! I can't cope with even the simple bits (making things bold or italics) - and I don't want to learn... so no offers, from anyone, of step by step instructions.
759 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

29th November 2023, 18:52
Jigjag, aren't you the lucky one? You can choose the reply - mine or Jono's - which matches your stance at the time...
760 of 862  -   Report This Post