CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

darla

16th October 2023, 17:30
Thank you both for the information. Live and learn. Strictly "guyser" over here.
721 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

17th October 2023, 12:14
The OED gives four pronunciations for British English but only one for American.

GEE-zuh, GUY-zuh, GAY-suh, GUY-suh.
American: GUY-zur.

Apparently the word comes from Icelandic, a former proper name. These days they call it a goshver, pronounced goss-kvair. Gos means an eruption and also a soft fizzy drink. Hver means a hot spring.

722 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

18th October 2023, 16:19
Malone

I was delighted you featured in the Times crossword yesterday.

22D Artistic performer given her head? (6) - A - O - E

It was my last entry, but the answer was obvious.

Well done on getting your recognition.

723 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

18th October 2023, 18:59
Grunger, I'm delighted that I was responsible for you finishing off the crossword...I'd have been even more delighted if I had actually been the correct answer to 22 D. I did feature as a solution in a crossword once, but I can't remember which one.

I enjoyed the recent chatter about ships... sorry, about -ships.

724 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

19th October 2023, 13:29
Malone

It was one of my last in, and I did think of you!

The ship stuff was fun - grunger has a great imagination.
725 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

23rd October 2023, 19:31
I have been told that my spelling of "governessship" is wrong as it is claimed that no word in English has the same 3 letters in succession. Yet I see that The Times final had:

25D It's fresh book with basic school skills? (4)

726 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

23rd October 2023, 21:26
There is a priestship ... but no priestessship?
727 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd October 2023, 21:55
Thanks Grunger, I like the clue, makes me want to put the heating on :-)
728 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

23rd October 2023, 22:22
I was reading today of this chap who struck me as something of a pedant (in a good way of course)…

…it was the story of Sahib ibn Abbad, a first century Grand Vizier of Persia, a scholar, poet and polymath. During his work he accumulated a substantial library of over 117,000 books (some accounts say 200,000).

When the Samanid Emperor invited Abbad to travel to Khorasan to serve as his Vizier, Abbad replied that he would require 400 camels to carry all his books, including sixty for his dictionaries alone. The catalogue of the library itself comprised ten volumes.

Accounts suggest that during the journey the camels were trained to walk in alphabetical order so as to preserve the structure of the library. Very sensible, I thought.

However, I was concerned that there was no mention of a system for the ordering of books on each individual camel, though Abbad strikes me as the sort of chap who would have had one :-) 🐪
729 of 862  -   Report This Post

buddy

23rd October 2023, 22:32
Regarding triple letters, apparently the OED lists:

brrr, countessship, duchessship, frillless, governessship, grrr, grrrl, hostessship, postmistressship

as valid (unhyphenated) words. I could check this but am far too lazy.

Hmmm... could there be others?
730 of 862  -   Report This Post