CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

22nd September 2021, 19:05
Grunger, I'm afraid I feel the complete opposite when it comes to authoress, poetess and sculptress . They all sound so ungainly to me. I don't mind 'shepherdess' as it (the job itself) is virtually historic now. Conductress is embedded in my childhood, and refers only to women punching tickets on a bus and getting to ring the bell. I haven't heard seamstress since my gran died, though I do know a few dressmakers. Songstress seems to be about the same era - well, for me personally. I'd never go to a restaurant that had serveresses, nor a hotel with porteresses - those are as appealing/unappealing as the others!

101 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd September 2021, 19:10
Thanks, jigjag. I really don't like the replacement for 'batsman' - and think it's a daft idea anyway. There seems to be lots of people in authority, in charge of various bodies and so on who are imagining problems, putting forth scenarios and suppositions... baselessly. I think everyone's so scared of offending anyone and wants to keep the balance 'right', that they're leading themselves down weird and not so wonderful paths.
102 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

22nd September 2021, 19:23
Jigjag

I have the feeling the MCC and ECB are going out of their way to upset and marginalise Cricket supporters and County members - I`ve just renewed my YCCC membership for 2022 even though I have no idea how and when the various competitions will take place.
103 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

22nd September 2021, 21:55
malone jigjag tyke

Thanks for your comments. Several racehorses have contacted me to complain that the The British Horseracing Authority has also introduced a gender-neutral term, as "horse" is apparently male, and females are mares or fillies. They considered "racer", but have decided on "racist".
104 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

22nd September 2021, 22:00
Grunger

I love it! Not as far-fetched as you think.
105 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

23rd September 2021, 10:01
malone

I agree with you that there are people in authority who are trying to solve problems that dont exist. I spoke to Betty Batty of Making Cynical Changes.

"The MCC received a comment from a female batsman who said that she was neither a man not bats" she said. "Therefore we have changed the word so that she can be equated to a substance for frying fish."

Batty? Bats? Time will tell.
106 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

23rd September 2021, 12:00
Grunger
I enjoyed reading that . Both MCCs should be ashamed of themselves. I will miss the old words when they die out. I prefer governess and schoolmistress to nanny and teacher. I suppose I will be battered into submission by these people.
107 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd September 2021, 12:18
Grunger (Grungeress?), I enjoyed your Betty Batty discourse - thanks for that!

Jigjag, I have to say that I have never used - when speaking of anything contemporary - 'governess' or 'schoolmistress' (or 'schoolmaster' for that matter. I think some words evolve, some words die out -and the impact on people varies tremendously. As the recent PU stuff shows, some losses are heart-felt by some, welcomed by others. The batty batter falls into another category altogether - nonsense for the sake of nonsense!
108 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

23rd September 2021, 12:40
I much prefer the word batsman to batter, but it seems batter in cricket was first recorded in 1773 in these lines from a ballad:

At last, Sir Horace took the field, A batter of great might.
109 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

23rd September 2021, 13:07
malone jigjag orson

Thanks for your posts. They reminded me of a friend who has started a comprehensiveschoolmistressship this term. One of my favourite words but I expect it to die out soon.
110 of 862  -   Report This Post