CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

paulhabershon

16th September 2021, 17:29
Orson, I think you may be right about the adverbs in this context.

I was more concerned about the misspelling of 'license', not by you, because you were quoting exactly what appeared in The Times.

On another subject - I have just completed an online satisfaction survey for Lloyd's Pharmacy in the vain hope of winning £250. I was amused by the ambiguity of this question:

With which gender do you associate?
A: female
B: male
C: other

The ambiguity to which I refer is of course in the question, not in the given answers.
91 of 862  -   Report This Post

orson

16th September 2021, 20:12
From the football page of the BBC website:

[Naples] boss Luciano Spalletti says they will respect the Europa League. "It is the bicycle we have dreamt of peddling," he said.

I hope he gets a good price for it.
92 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

16th September 2021, 23:48
orson

A letter to the Times earlier in the week quoted a poem with 7 consecutive prepositions, but the wrong person was given the credit.

Paul

Yes a typical nonsensical question in a survey. I recently did one for a cricket ground.

Q. Were you satisfied with the number of announcements?

A. No, but there was no way of saying whether there were too many or too few.

I associate more with men than women, but that's not what they mean
93 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

17th September 2021, 11:30
A poor week for the Times crossword. A "char", 2 SA/ITs in the same clue and a shepherd but no shepherdess. They did spell licence correctly today though.
94 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

17th September 2021, 11:36
Grunger

I agree but it is not all bad news. On the front page, it reports plans for items to be sold in imperial measures only. The original metric martyrs will get a pardon and Ivan Napple and the like will be able to call out their prices like they used to. I cant wait.
95 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

22nd September 2021, 16:52
I was very pleased to solve 5d in the Times today, the answer being a word used correctly to fit the double definition clue. By an amazing co-incidence, this comes on the day that the MCC has changed the laws of cricket so that 5d is the word to be used. Not by me.......thanks very much.

They are wrong that 5d is "gender-neutral". The correct word is gender-neutral as are draughtsman, draftsman, chessmen etc. The word that they have introduced, as well as sounding ridiculous, is not gender-neutral as the -er ending is masculine. If they are going to inisist on this nonsense, I shall refer to myself as a ****ress.

I hope all female cricketers will support me.
96 of 862  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd September 2021, 18:01
Are we still allowed to bowl a maiden over?
97 of 862  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd September 2021, 18:12
Grunger, I felt very sorry for you when i worked out the stuff about your sports terminology being tweaked, changed, politically correctisised (if they can introduce new words, then so can I!). I think you shoukd stick to your guns and never use that daft word from today's crossword. I have no problem with many of the old (and to only a few people, obsolete) words - draftsman, chessmen etc. I am not so keen on the ones that have fallen by the wayside - poetess, conductress, the awful bishopess that was in a recnet crossword) and I am glad those have gone.

PS I don't think the '-er' ending is necessarily masculine. Most of the time, surely, it's just an agent noun? A dancer is someone who dances, a walker is someone who walks, a singer is someone who sings. Those are far more prevalent than 'mister' and 'cricketer'.
98 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

22nd September 2021, 18:36
jono

Thanks, you can as far as I am concerned, though the MCC have not ruled on it yet.

Malone

I like your "politically correctisised". I hope we can keep hold of the culture "-esses", e.g. authoress, poetess and sculptress, having lost paintress and being in danger of losing actress. I know women who still use conductress, shepherdess and seamstress amongst others. I agree bishopess is awful.

I agree that some -ers are neutral, but words like mister/mistress, songster/songstress should not be neutered IMHO.

99 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

22nd September 2021, 18:45
Grunger

I agree it is ridiculous. I am afraid that the MCC, like the ECB, is being run by idiots.

The official reason for the change - that the word "batsman" in the Laws of the Game will put off young girls - is ludicrous. Every woman and girl I have played with has called herself a batsman and been proud of it.

Those who bowl have called themselves bowlers, no attempt to invent a word like bowlress or bowlperson.
100 of 862  -   Report This Post