CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

23rd September 2021, 13:14
Grunger

Yes I believe it is the longest non-scientific word in common usage. Is she at a Catholic school? Catholiccomprehensiveschoolmistressships are highly sought after.
111 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

23rd September 2021, 15:35
Looks like the game`s up for the `Third Man` fielding position - `Third Person` just doesn`t seem right though!
112 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

23rd September 2021, 16:17
tyke

They kept saying third on TMS in the Oval Test, sounded ridiculous. And I read a report of a Womens Test where they wrote about the "nightwatch". Drives me mad. Enthralling last days of season, Lancs might do it.

jigjag

Yes she is. I suppose she has a Romancatholiccomprehensiveschoolmistressship in that case.
113 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

23rd September 2021, 16:29
Grunger

I contacted the Council of International Schools to enquire about positions in Roman Catholic Comps. I was told:

"Internationalromancatholiccomprehensiveschoolmistressships are available in some schools."

I cant find the word in my old Chambers but I am sure it will be in the next edition.
114 of 862  -   Report This Post

tyke51

23rd September 2021, 18:56
Grunger

I think Lancs should be OK for the title - this year`s Championship has certainly been interesting with the outcome not settled until the final day.
I`m pleased with the crop of youngsters Yorks have coming through - hoping we do well next season (I say that every year!)
115 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

23rd September 2021, 21:05
tyke

Yes after a few tense overs at the end, we scraped home. I dont expect Warwks to win tomorrow but they might deny us. I thought Lancs or Yorks would win it after the first half, with Essex being out of it. Good luck next season.
116 of 862  -   Report This Post

jigjag

23rd September 2021, 21:11
Tyke Grunger

Yes a very interesting Championship this year. I havent seen Yorks but been to Old Trafford a few times. I saw the Roses 2nd XI match at Chester a few weeks ago.

I see they are talking about 2 divisions next year. I suppose it gives more teams something to play for. I hope Worcs will be competing for promotion.

117 of 862  -   Report This Post

grunger

24th September 2021, 16:58
Paul jigjag

Nice to see 3 chess references in Times crossword today
118 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

25th September 2021, 07:26
Re your #118 and 'three chess references' in Friday's Times.

First to move the panel, shifting piece of junk (5, 8)

I saw that one, with white having first move at chess, but which are the other two?

9ac has 'check' and 19d has 'king' but not in a specifically chess context.

I suppose 13d,

Permitted variations aren't close when worked out (10),

could be a chess reference.

Incidentally 12ac PEON (farm worker, peasant) is connected etymologically with PAWN. In a Scrabble tournament I once risked PEONAGE, not sure if it existed. It was challenged but is valid.
119 of 862  -   Report This Post

paulhabershon

25th September 2021, 07:28
Sorry, meant to put grunger at top of my #119
120 of 862  -   Report This Post