CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

williamseal

31st July 2021, 16:40
Oh dear - we are all grateful to Norah's efforts but I was so happy with the previous set-up.

Here I have finished the grid bu am hopelessly stuck and want to get to the next level. I can find sufficient misprints. I have identified them in the following across clues : 7,11, 14, 18, 27, and 39 (and probably 29 and 35 but can't identify the incorrect letter here) and the following downs: 2, 4, 7, 19, 21 (probably 9, 26 and 30 ditto on incorrect letter)

Where and who can I turn to for help? Is it this thread? Please help - it's a long week ahead.
41 of 93  -   Report This Post

malone

31st July 2021, 16:48
Williamseal, there's no drastic change to the 'help with the theme' stuff - I don't think anyone wants to see major revelations on that. Norah mentions the theme in the 'New Approach' thread - I think she might have said that 'strong hints, to the theme' could perhaps be given on the Answers thread. Maybe worth having a look?
42 of 93  -   Report This Post

lordbadger

31st July 2021, 17:02
Yes this is a bit weird, there are very few hints on this thread so far, and nothing at all on the “answers” thread!

Williamseal, I think all your identified misprints (incl. your probably’s) are correct and in 35a the misprint is in the first word.
43 of 93  -   Report This Post

buzzb

31st July 2021, 17:07
Eventually Norah's explanatory post will be forgotten and we will just have two threads, one of which is called ANSWERS. What do you think is going to happen then?

We have gotten along fairly well under the old way of splitting the thread and just because there was some recent controversy does not justify this radical shift now.

44 of 93  -   Report This Post

planks

31st July 2021, 17:32
I'm with you 100% buzzb.
45 of 93  -   Report This Post

woodlouse

31st July 2021, 18:53
There can't be a prohibition on answers that are definitely wrong. But I wanted to share my change of the 2nd and 3rd letters of 37a to AD
46 of 93  -   Report This Post

dsc

31st July 2021, 19:15
At last hurdle. 1: are the two letters from the same word (or at least contiguous)? 2: could I have a hint to what the extensive effect is please?
47 of 93  -   Report This Post

granama1

31st July 2021, 19:28
You are right LordBadger it's all a bit odd. I assumed this thread would continue as normal but with actual answers officially verboten.
So, testing, testing, I have completed I think although the end game wasn't v convincing. However, parsing 1a has me beat. I have the incorrect letter/word sorted but the rest of the clue might as well be Greek! Guidance, hints, tips and tricks welcome (no answers...I have that (:o)
48 of 93  -   Report This Post

granama1

31st July 2021, 19:33
DSC. I have them as contiguous/same word and the result reduces the extensive effect because removing the two words makes the statement true.

(I think).
49 of 93  -   Report This Post

tatters

31st July 2021, 19:34
I think it is no more complicated than looking up the three letter word at the end of your 7 letter entry
50 of 93  -   Report This Post