CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

norah (admin)

30th July 2021, 15:51
All discussion will take place in this thread. Gentle hints can be given on the crossword and VERY GENTLE HINTS ON THE THEME. Absolutely no answers are to be given.
1 of 93  -   Report This Post

quixote

30th July 2021, 17:07
Norah - what's happening about the pre-publication of the Listener by Dropbox, that Tatters has been doing for some time at 16:00 in Friday afternoons?
The standard dropbox address https://www.dropbox.com/sh/da784csxw7o0cob/AADQOuar0HrKyRkO2kCw1ZDUa?dl=0
is still showing the 4669 crosswordat 17:00 (or G&T time to traditionalists).
Now you appear to have taken over both the threads, will you be providing this service? - or could I ask Tatters or Malone to kindly attend to it - it's a very valued kindness.
[Apologies, everyone, for posting this under my inappropriate old Nom de Croix - I realised that the identity I'd chosen, Quixote, was that of a distinguished (alas late) crossword setter - but have had difficulty in getting Ash to allow me to change it - I'll have another go}.

2 of 93  -   Report This Post

quixote

30th July 2021, 17:12
...just to clarify - I do buy the Times on Saturday, and submit on the printed grid cut from that, but it's nice to have 20 hours' start, and convenient to be able to print out the gris and clues at larger scale on separate sheets of copier paper - saves scanni;ng the newspaper, and lots of Tippex...
3 of 93  -   Report This Post

loge

30th July 2021, 17:13
As far as I know, Quixote (Don Manley) is very much alive! Though it's true he stopped using that particular moniker as he no longer sets for the Indy.
4 of 93  -   Report This Post

quixote

30th July 2021, 17:25
Oops!
I referred to Quixote as "alas, late" - but now find that Don Manley appears to be very much alive - so double apologies to Don for inadvertently poaching his alias - although to be fair he has quite a few of them in his garage - and I promise to change to 'Hotie' as soon as it can be arranged.
5 of 93  -   Report This Post

malone

30th July 2021, 17:28
Quixote, as Norah had a new approach planned, I opted not to post the 'usual' threads. Now that I know the details of the new system, I'll be able to post, introduce, the Listener threads in future ... but maybe only once I know they are available to us!

Thanks, Norah. It's good to know the Forum's plans for the Listener threads. We members might slip up initially, but I'm sure we'll find our way.
6 of 93  -   Report This Post

loge

30th July 2021, 17:28
Indeed Don has covered pretty much all bases with his pseudonyms: Pasquale, Duck, Bradman, Giovanni. If a "new" setter appears under the name of Trump, we'll know who it is...

Or perhaps not!
7 of 93  -   Report This Post

quixote

30th July 2021, 17:35
So, will the Dropbox link be appearing soon? Or do we have to wait until we buy the newspaper tomorrow? - or, do I recall that Tatters was retrieving the thing from a Times website that anyone can access? Sorry if I'm being dim...
8 of 93  -   Report This Post

malone

30th July 2021, 17:38
Quixote, as the link hasn't made an appearance, it could be we'll be returning to the pre-pandemic habit - seeing the puzzle only on Saturday morning.
9 of 93  -   Report This Post

tatters

30th July 2021, 17:41
I thought I had done it at 3.50 as usual. Sorry for messing it up - it seems to be there now
10 of 93  -   Report This Post