CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quisling

25th July 2021, 22:48
I’m firmly in the “no direct answers” camp, for all the reasons given. The majority are happy with that. And people clever enough to solve these puzzles are clever enough to give hints rather than answers should they choose to. But there are a few posters who, for their own reasons, love to give direct answers, even when not requested. And there are a few others who, for their own reasons, can’t abide Answerbank’s policy of not allowing help on the Listener, and therefore encourage full disclosure on here. The key battleground is this: the full disclosure group say, if you don’t want to see answers, don’t look at the thread. And yet people start the crossword at different times, and solve at different speeds. Many come here wanting gentle steers, not answers spelt out verbatim. I think it’s a matter of respect to avoid doing that, so I prefer never to see the answers themselves.
81 of 112  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

25th July 2021, 23:25
Thanks, mattrom and wintonian. I do hate myself for 37, but I just never equated heckle with boo. The latter seems stronger to me, but on reflection, it's fair. I never expected Abe Lincoln in a British puzzle. I kept thinking of place names.

82 of 112  -   Report This Post

wintonian

25th July 2021, 23:45
You’re welcome, Mathprof. “Lincoln” is a setters’ favourite. As well as the shortened form of the president’s first name, I’ve seen it used as an example of “see”, as Lincoln in the U.K. has a famous cathedral, and as an example of “green”, as Lincoln green is the colour associated with Robin Hood and his Merry Men. I’ve even seen “Lincoln’s state” being used in different puzzles for KY, IL and NE, given that Lincoln was born in Kentucky and made his career in Illinois, and Lincoln is the state capital of Nebraska.
83 of 112  -   Report This Post

mattrom

25th July 2021, 23:55
I was originally thinking of a luxury car for Lincoln......
84 of 112  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

26th July 2021, 00:12
I thought about cars too, probably because the next clue had "motorcar."
85 of 112  -   Report This Post

cass

26th July 2021, 00:23
Thanks Merenz
I've got it now. I had tried an anagram of those letters, and just didn't think of actually looking up that particular word! It now seems so obvious for an Aussie..
86 of 112  -   Report This Post

williamseal

27th July 2021, 07:10
Greetings from the sandbank. Delighted to say that I have completed this one. This is most reassuring since I have had a poor run recently. I needed a nudge in two clues, so my thanks to Loge and Wintonian for posts at 17 and 19.

This was about the right level for me and, again, it is very reassuring to be able to turn to this forum.
87 of 112  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th July 2021, 08:32
I managed to solve three of the Ring 3 clues early on and from those, Google was able to supply the full quote, which proved very helpful.
88 of 112  -   Report This Post

0pt0

27th July 2021, 13:58
At # 45 Sunray asked for a hint re. radial 4, but no-one seems to have responded. This is the only clue I have been unable to crack, so a hint would be most welcome.
89 of 112  -   Report This Post

loge

27th July 2021, 14:06
The wordplay is A + word for a university fellow around U. The answer is an adjective with classical origins.
90 of 112  -   Report This Post