CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

bobbycollins

25th July 2021, 16:41
Hear Hear!
61 of 112  -   Report This Post

malone

25th July 2021, 16:58
After the recent discussion - on an earlier Listener thread - Norah, the site administrator, seems happy for things to continue as they are.
62 of 112  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

25th July 2021, 17:16
Hi, Malone. I think that a large majority of contributors will be disappointed to hear that😢
63 of 112  -   Report This Post

loge

25th July 2021, 17:31
I’ve just read through this thread, and unless I have missed something there are no answers given, only hints?
64 of 112  -   Report This Post

merenz

25th July 2021, 17:45
Post 35 mentions an answer so I’m guessing that’s what bobbycollins is referring to. The username isn’t familiar to me so I think they’re fairly new to the forum and so might not be au fait with the etiquette. I’m sure they are now though
65 of 112  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

25th July 2021, 17:46
Really, Bobby? If so, then I haven't heard anything from "the large majority of contributors" stating they are disappointed.

When the one thread per crossword policy was introduced, I was persuaded to allow the two Listener threads to continue, one of which would contain the preamble "MAY CONTAIN ANSWERS". It cannot be stated any clearer than that.

The second thread was intended for discussion purposes but absolutely no answers were to be given in that thread.

When it was further discussed some time later, the general consensus was the the status quo worked fine. The "large majority" certainly seemed happy with how things were run.

The whole point in having two threads was that answers would be permitted in the 'contain answers' thread, otherwise there's no point in having two threads.

Malone, can we have your opinion please? You set up the threads originally and continue to set them up.
66 of 112  -   Report This Post

lordbadger

25th July 2021, 17:51
I’m only an occasional contributor to this thread, so forgive me if I offend anyone ..

From a personal perspective the last thing I want to see on here is a “blurted out” answer or, even worse, theme .. what’s the point of that?!

Surely everyone looking at this thread is making a serious attempt to complete the crossword, and would much prefer to do that under their own steam if they can? That’s my MO anyway, and generally I only come here once I’m done, in the hope that I’ll find a nudge as to the explanation of a few clues that I’ve struggled to parse.

I do also enjoy the “lively” discussion, but I’m wary of following it and contributing to it too early just in case somebody has “totally spoiled the enjoyment” for others. There have been a few recent threads where I would’ve been livid if I’d checked in earlier.

Now, I know it’s a bit of a grey area as to what constitutes a “good” hint, but wouldn’t it be better to err on the subtle side? Generally, IMHO, that should be sufficient to give most people a new lead to follow. And they can always come back later or seek private help if they’re still stuck. I would always be happy to try and help if asked (if of course I’ve got there myself, which is not guaranteed).

Have a good Sunday evening everyone, and thank you for all the well-thought through hints that many of you have given to this particular devotee of the Listener.
67 of 112  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

25th July 2021, 17:59
Lordbadger - completely agree.
68 of 112  -   Report This Post

loge

25th July 2021, 18:01
You’re right Merenz, on all counts!
69 of 112  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

25th July 2021, 18:12
Hello, Nora. I just feel that the "May contain answers" part of the header could encourage folk to divulge. Gitto clearly feels the same, but hey, I certainly don't wish to upset anybody😊
70 of 112  -   Report This Post