CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

will37

24th July 2021, 14:13
Many thanks, tatters.
31 of 112  -   Report This Post

granama1

24th July 2021, 14:53
Thanks again Wintonian. My LOI was 26 and the tip re Bradford's did the trick. I tend to forget I have a copy! New meaning for 'vocal' for me in that clue.
(Still stuck on the end-game for the Inquisitor but I'll spin that one out to fill the gap until the Azed is published).
32 of 112  -   Report This Post

jordan

24th July 2021, 15:04
I'm stuck on radials 31 to 34 and thats cos I cant get perimeter 29. Could someone give me a nudge for the perimter clue or at least tell me if my current be****n is right or not. Thanks
33 of 112  -   Report This Post

will37

24th July 2021, 15:23
Jordan - I hadn't thought of the fruit which is referred to as being a fruit but Bradford's lists it as such. I'm wondering whether you may have the correct answer to radial 30 but are trying to enter it the wrong way. It is not one of the four which are entered outwards.
34 of 112  -   Report This Post

jordan

24th July 2021, 15:30
Hi Will. I had 30 as nuttie(r) and did enter it as one of the four outward radials as it would leave me with bn****n on the perimeter and I didnt like that much!
35 of 112  -   Report This Post

will37

24th July 2021, 15:35
You've got the right word. The first letter is in the innermost ring so the second goes in the perimeter and then you continue to work inwards
36 of 112  -   Report This Post

jordan

24th July 2021, 15:39
Good heavens. What a fool i am. Thanks again.
37 of 112  -   Report This Post

merenz

24th July 2021, 17:16
I think I may be in the minority in that I always rather enjoy circular grids. This was no exception so thank you The Ace of Hearts.

As others have noted, the quote gave itself up quite quickly but I see that as a win. Whilst the definition from the omitted letters made no contribution to the endgame, it was indeed helpful to know what the missing letters were, especially with 8 and 9 letter words.

One aspect of the chambers app I’ve found really helpful with such grids is using the * wildcard rather than ? in the search, given the whereabouts of the missing letters are unknown. The game changing bit is to change the word length required in the search options (to 7,8 or 9 as required) so as to reduce the list of possibilities to something manageable. Then trying different permutations given the starting point often isn’t known. For example, my last one in was also radial 2. I had d?s?aa from the perimeter. I know the missing letter from the definition so can skim read the generated lists. So I set word length to 7 and start with

*d*s*a*a* and if no joy go to
*s*a*a*d* and so on

Finally, be warned… it is very easy to forget to change the max word length back to 30 causing much head scratching when subsequent searches bear little or no fruit.

Purists might say this is a step too far. But I see this process of narrowing down the search a skill in itself. And, besides, how else will I find the time to tackle the never-ending laundry?

Lastly, could you kind folks give me a parse for radial 31? I have what I believe to be the answer (definition last 5 (possibly last 7?) words). I’m fixated on the full answer with an added U to make the first two words… but “as having left” doesn’t mean remove U. I’m almost certainly barking up the wrong tree here. Help! Thanks
38 of 112  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

24th July 2021, 17:18
May I make a polite request that solutions aren't mentioned directly.

This was a delightful puzzle - not as severe as some circulars but still quite tricky in places.
39 of 112  -   Report This Post

sunray

24th July 2021, 17:28
Merenz,

AS has a two letter equivalent that you remove. and then insert the omitted letter to get the answer.

I am struggling with 6 or so.
But any hints on 11, 18 and 34 will help.
40 of 112  -   Report This Post