CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

29th July 2021, 12:42
Orson, my thoughts on the 'May Contain Answers' is that it does what it says on the tin, the thread may contain answers! I'd thought this was like a warning sign for those who didn't want to see any - and there's another Listener thread. The title was also meant to be a slight encouragement for those who were stuck, really stuck - as well as hints, answers could be given. Not many answers were given, in fact - every time any were, some Forum members were not best pleased. That's maybe one of the reasons Norah/Admin are having a re-think.
101 of 112  -   Report This Post

orson

29th July 2021, 13:03
They're my thoughts exactly, malone. I cannot understand why people get upset or are surprised if the occasional answer appears when that is what the title of the thread has clearly stated.
102 of 112  -   Report This Post

malone

29th July 2021, 13:07
Thanks, Orson. I've been surprised at how ambiguous 'May Contain Answers' appears to have been!

I also think the majority of Listener doers/attempters don't want answers unless they have ground to a complete and utter halt, maybe in one particular corner. Hints and nudges are often - but not always - enough.
103 of 112  -   Report This Post

ginge

29th July 2021, 13:32
At the risk of making myself even more unpopular I really don't see why "The Listener" should be treated any different to IQ or EV which can prove tougher some weekends. I have also noticed some posters being pilloried for providing answers or parsings in response to specific requests for such! When I see some of the "hints", they're so obvious, I really have to shake my head - does the poster (who may well have asked for hints only) truly derive satisfaction from subsequently "solving" these?
I believe the purpose of this forum is to help solvers of all abilities in all "grades" of puzzles and succeeds in doing so due to the many helpful contributors without controversy except with this particular puzzle.
104 of 112  -   Report This Post

bunty

29th July 2021, 14:56
Excellent comments ginge!
105 of 112  -   Report This Post

nick

29th July 2021, 19:22
I thought the Listener was treated differently out of respect for the Solver Silver Salver competition, is that not the case?
106 of 112  -   Report This Post

ginge

29th July 2021, 19:48
Hi nick, in my opinion anyone submitting any puzzle for a prize, Listener or otherwise, who has required assistance of any kind - here specifically this online forum since it's under discussion - is deluding themselves that they have "earned" it. There still seems to be some "kudos" in achieving "all correct" status with "Listener" and I'd genuinely be interested in seeing the annual statistics once those "awarded" could "hand over heart" aver "all my own work" for what in the "bigger" scheme of things amounts to ...
107 of 112  -   Report This Post

nick

29th July 2021, 20:03
Hi ginge,

I agree, and you have highlighted the problem of course. If the answers are online each week then everyone who is all correct may be doubted. That is a shame for those who do tackle them fairly.

I stress that I wasn't trying to tell anyone how it should be on here, merely responding to your post and saying why I have always assumed it was treated differently. Coincidentally, after years of tackling it without submitting, I decided that I might give it a go myself next year.
108 of 112  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

29th July 2021, 21:08
Enjoyed this for the first couple of hours, got the circular answers, most of the radials, the theme and the person. Then, as generally seems to be the case with circular grids and as others have mentioned, knocking off the last dozen or so radials took another couple of hours and was a bit of a chore.

Couldn't parse 26 but now have it thanks to Loge's post. Hadn't come across that meaning of vocal before.

109 of 112  -   Report This Post

thepost

1st August 2021, 08:58
Puzzle finished and posted off. However.............I sent it without fully understanding the parsing of Radial 31 - "Ranting more, as having left with a greater infestation of larvae".

The answer must be MOTHIER (I hope!) and I get the MO...ER as being an anagram of more (Ranting). The extra letter is T but where does the HI come from?

I would be pleased to find out.
110 of 112  -   Report This Post