CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

10th March 2021, 03:41
Hi MPRS,

It's the presenters of "I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here" but in reverse order/"unusually".
61 of 92  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th March 2021, 03:44
Sorry, it's "unusually ordered".
62 of 92  -   Report This Post

mattrom

10th March 2021, 04:31
Thanks, Brendan. I'd never heard of them either, and was looking for names spelled backwards, or even 'interwoven'.
63 of 92  -   Report This Post

brendan

10th March 2021, 04:57
No problem Mattrom, but I'm surprised you haven't heard of them - with the exception of this year due to the pandemic, the programme takes place in your neck of the woods.
64 of 92  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

10th March 2021, 15:25
Thanks, Brendan. The clue answer actually seems to be the first three letters of each name. Nicknames perhaps? I'm not sure how unusually ordered applies, unless they are commonly referred to as a pair in the other order.
65 of 92  -   Report This Post

malone

10th March 2021, 16:37
Mathprofrockstar - yes, it's their shortened names, nicknames and yes, they are always referred to in the other order. (And they always stand in the same position, one of them always on the left...)
66 of 92  -   Report This Post

lumen

10th March 2021, 18:47
Hi again malone, and any one else who isn't stolid (- ie as Chambers puts it: impassive; showing little or no interest; unemotional.)
Are we any the wiser why 10d is stolid?
Yes, under beefy in Chambers, it says 'stolid (informal)' but why?

67 of 92  -   Report This Post

quisling

10th March 2021, 19:17
Stolid is an anagram of “is too old”, scoring (I.e. scratching out a pair, two zeros). Playing is the anagram indicator
68 of 92  -   Report This Post

lumen

10th March 2021, 19:23
Cheers quisling, I see that.
It's the definition I don't get - as that is "impassive; showing little or no interest; unemotional" - in Chambers.
69 of 92  -   Report This Post

candledave

10th March 2021, 19:24
I think the question is more why is Stolid defined as Beefy.

Looks like a mistake in Chambers to me and should be “solid” as I can’t see any other reference to a connection between the two words although perhaps one exists.
70 of 92  -   Report This Post