CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rhona121

8th March 2021, 12:43
For some time I seriously considered binning this puzzle, but I’m stubborn. Thanks to the very generous help from lots of folk on this forum I have eventually completed it. I didn’t enjoy the puzzle and I didn’t get a sense of satisfaction, just relief!
51 of 92  -   Report This Post

kenhiggs

8th March 2021, 14:57
I too eventually got there after having nicked a couple of the early hints which got me going. The across clues were a real bugger, and the downs would have been a step too far if entry had been entirely random. As it was, the method actually helped me enormously.

I know which name to change, and what will appear, but I'm buggered if I can see anything.
52 of 92  -   Report This Post

candledave

8th March 2021, 18:43
Don’t think there’s anything else to see Ken
53 of 92  -   Report This Post

foinaven

8th March 2021, 18:53
For me, the final step was easy, and I even saw it coming given the title of the puzzle. I am pretty sound on things like mythology, classical music and literature, which often helps, and sometimes my mathematical background is a bonus.

It took me much more time to sort out exactly how the across clues 14, 19 and 20 worked, but I think I have them right now. The trouble is, of course, that various alternatives look plausible but then the partition only works for one of the pair.

It seems to me that Paddock has been scrupulous in the clueing. This is an impressive puzzle, and we needed something difficult after a few rather easy weeks. I can, however, do without the across style clues for a while.
54 of 92  -   Report This Post

lumen

8th March 2021, 19:28
I’m nearly there. Would like to put this to bed now.
Just 10d to sort, and the little crosser, the 4 letter answer in 18a? Tips for either please.
Oh and there’s two alternative spellings for 17a RHS.
55 of 92  -   Report This Post

mattrom

8th March 2021, 20:02
Lumen, 18a. is a word for 'clear' minus an L
10d. First part wordplay ends with 'playing'. Def. is 'beefy'. Other def. is 'Asian currency'
56 of 92  -   Report This Post

lumen

9th March 2021, 05:38
Finished, I guess!
Not sure about definition in first part of 10...seems Paddock is confusing Solid and Stolid? The latter doesn’t mean beefy? I’d ruled it out after checking Chambers.
57 of 92  -   Report This Post

malone

9th March 2021, 06:03
Lumen, for Stolid, have another look at Chambers - under 'beefy'....stolid is specified.
58 of 92  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

10th March 2021, 01:58
I'm still plugging away at this. (I did get a late start.) I have most of the down clues solved, except for 7, and I'm not ready for a hint on that yet, but I am still stumped on the first part of 6. I've seen the earlier hint about TV presenters reversed, but I'm afraid I'm out of my element. The only British TV I know is Dr. Who and Monty Python. (Slight exaggeration.)
59 of 92  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

10th March 2021, 03:01
I’ve now worked out the definition for 6, but still don’t see the TV presenters.
60 of 92  -   Report This Post