CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

candledave

6th March 2021, 17:57
Well that came together in all of a rush once I had corrected an error. The RHS seems to have a slightly friendlier interweaving of the down clues but.....

Although I have a letter in every square, I have a whole host of parsing queries and I don’t have either of the 9D answers so not entirely sure I can say I’ve finished!

All in all though, I think that the interweaving clue mechanic is just too difficult and has definitely impacted my enjoyment.
21 of 92  -   Report This Post

gazzar

6th March 2021, 21:18
Just started to look at this puzzle and this lower division solver is wondering whether it'll be worth the slog. An inane question if I may: referring to the 1st line of the preamble, does it mean that the words of each clue are really randomly interwoven (i.e. the words are not in the correct order as printed) or are the words to both clues still in the correct order as supplied? If it's the former, I may as well give up now! Any help gratefully received...
22 of 92  -   Report This Post

mattrom

6th March 2021, 21:35
Gazzar, as an example, taking 2 clues from yesterday's Guardian
'Line on taxi mostly grease' and 'Piscine is rather cold', could written as
'Piscine line on taxi is mostly rather cold grease'
23 of 92  -   Report This Post

mattrom

6th March 2021, 21:37
... so the words keep their original order but are interwoven.
24 of 92  -   Report This Post

gazzar

6th March 2021, 21:40
Thanks mattrom. I shall give this one a go, then...
Hats off to those those who've already completed it!
25 of 92  -   Report This Post

gazzar

7th March 2021, 10:07
Well, after a couple of hours on this I'm going to give up. I'm not normally defeatist but I cant see the point of trying to solve any of the down clues as the answers are randomly interwoven in the columns so that doesn't help with any of the across answers (or am I missing something?). Cold solving the across clues would complete the grid, surely?
I enjoy a challenge and usually finish the Listener every week but I'm out of my league with this one.
Serious respect to those of you who have completed this already!
26 of 92  -   Report This Post

dylan

7th March 2021, 10:25
I've now completed the left hand side ( mainly by guessing at some definitions, with much word-play still to be unravelled), and I've seen the character and their replacement. Is the other character in a symmetrically reflected position on the RHS? If so, I've got an obvious answer for 8d wrong!

Despite "solving" 11,12,13 and 14ac, I have very little idea of how the two clues interweave, and hence what the actual clues for the RHS are.

Tips please?
27 of 92  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th March 2021, 10:29
Gazzar, I don't blame you for giving up at all. It's a very tough puzzle. But it's not quite true that there is no use solving the down clues. They are only random in the same way as the words in the across clues. In other words, the letters do appear in the correct order. So imagine the answers in one column were RADISH and LEMONY. They might be entered as LERMADIONSYH, or RLAEMDOINSHY. And thus if you have solved both clues in a column you know that there are only two options for the first and last letters. And once you have the crossing answer there are only two options for the next letter below. It is actually a help!
28 of 92  -   Report This Post

loge

7th March 2021, 10:33
Yes Dylan, the other character is in a symmetrically reflected position.

The defs for the RHS answers for the clues you mention are:

11 Smokes (noun)
12 Bound (verb)
13 Complaining (adjective) think Shakespeare's Kate
14 African predicant (noun)

Hope that helps

29 of 92  -   Report This Post

lumen

7th March 2021, 10:40
Wasn't the Inquisitor lovely this weekend!!
On the other hand.....
I have cold-solved several downs, but only one half, so I'd be really grateful, before I call it a day, of a help with the second half of 2, 3, 4. Or some of those!
30 of 92  -   Report This Post