CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

27th February 2021, 01:15
This week's puzzle is a part-themed crossword by Paul and is an absolute cracker 😊

I should mention that I had a slight problem entering the answer to 11.2,3 in that, after I'd entered 11, the cursor goes to the 4 letter 2d when it should go to the 6 letter 3d - also, there shouldn't be a separation line in 3d either.

NB. I invariably get these things wrong so be sure to check other posts before relying on what I've just said.

FOI - was 4d followed by 8a.

The theme is one I was particularly glad to see and, to be honest, I'm surprised I haven't seen it before!

I found the best way in was through 17a where there aren't too many words that can end in "I + kiss" - then it's just a matter of remembering (or Googling) where he was famously a "performer at" and that will give you 10,25.

If you do get stuck there's a long anagram in the downs and a slightly shorter one in the acrosses.

There a couple I haven't yet fully parsed, namely 26a where I got the answer from the definition but can't really see why it's an "odd time" and 23a where the definition, "safe" and "a" are all clear but can't get the remaining from "git" - let's hope that I get some PPS (Post Posting Enlightenment) 😉

COD - The theme related 5d - a truly excellent clue (although the long anagram in the downs ran it very close).

Thanks to Paul for an absolutely fantastic and inventive crossword, and let's hope that when this pandemic finally ends we can go back to having events like 10,25 again 😜

It's been great to see so many new solvers joining our friendly Guardian prize thread over the last few weeks. It's always good to see the views of fellow solvers - and remember - if you need a hint you have but to ask, there are always people on here willing to help - you might be one of them 😉

Stay safe:-)
1 of 69  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th February 2021, 01:33
Hi Brendan,

I stared at this for a long time and thought it was nearly impossible until I deduced the theme. (Funny, I live about an hour's drive from the namesake!) Seemed to be an error on the Guardian page I accessed: a long clue should be (11,3,2) IMO, and the dividing bar is misplaced.
2 of 69  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th February 2021, 01:36
Hi Geeker,

Thanks for confirming the slight error in the 11,2,3 clue - I was a tad worried it was me who was wrong (as is usually the case).

For those who run in to the same problem:- It should be 11,3,2 not 11,2,3 and there should not be a separation bar in 3d.
3 of 69  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th February 2021, 01:47
Thanks to Paul. It was an excellent puzzle after my initial bafflement. The timing was a bit strange...the big anniversary came and went some time ago. FOI 24a, LOI 12. Can't decide on COD, many of the themed ones were good.
4 of 69  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th February 2021, 01:52
I'd be interested to know what prompted Paul to cover this theme at this time - like you say, it's not an anniversary.

My only tinge of sadness is that the great JJ did not feature in the list of 10,25 performers - still, I'm sure the one's mentioned will please many.
5 of 69  -   Report This Post

simius

27th February 2021, 02:31
26a Think negative prefix and antonym, Brendan
6 of 69  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th February 2021, 02:38
Hi Simius,

Yep, that's what I've got and the definition of "anticlimax" is clear but not how it's an "odd time"?

I'm obviously missing something.
7 of 69  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th February 2021, 02:39
Ahhhh!! I see what you mean.

Many thanks Simius
8 of 69  -   Report This Post

geeker

27th February 2021, 02:49
Brendan, 23a: think of "git" as a verb, used somewhat as an admonishment.
9 of 69  -   Report This Post

brendan

27th February 2021, 02:55
23a - That's what I'd finally decided on, although I did at first (and sort of still do) wonder if it might be a misprint as Chambers doesn't give any indication that "git" and 'get' are related - although I can see how, in regional dialects, they wouls be.

Many thanks Geeker.

PS I'm assuming you weren't at 10,25 - too young or not 'your thing'?
10 of 69  -   Report This Post