CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

murky

8th September 2019, 08:56
I don't know why the setter found it necessary to have one thematic item in a foreign spelling. Perhaps it was forced by grid constraints, but since he did exactly the same in another puzzle it may be a quirk of his, Whatever the reason it's an inconsistency in the puzzle. Fortunately it showed up in my anagram solver, otherwise I might have struggled to get it.

41 of 75  -   Report This Post

murky

8th September 2019, 09:01
Dylan, if you have three vowels in checked spaces for 34ac you have an error. First and last are consonants. You need to remove AND (with) from a Danish territory.

11d is an anagram with an extra letter. It's sort of & lit.
42 of 75  -   Report This Post

smithsax

8th September 2019, 09:02
Dylan
Your answer to 30 down is incorrect. I had scarpa for a while giving a vowel at the end of 34 but the correct answer goes upwards and give a consonant at the end of 34.
43 of 75  -   Report This Post

granama1

8th September 2019, 09:04
Thanks drxx. I got there in the end, working backwards from the theme, which, given the comment regarding 'not affecting the perimeter cells' and the number provided by the spare letters gave an indication of the likely layout. Can't quite square the 4 letter word in the 36a clue with 'depended' though other than eg 'the blame was **** on him'.
Re the q? about 28d no drug involved but the digit is a finger and there's a spare 'R'.
44 of 75  -   Report This Post

theragman

8th September 2019, 10:15
There's been no query yet about the definition for 30d, but I must confess I am completely mystified by it. I assume it has to be the first two words but I can find no connection whatsoever with the clue's answer. Can someone please put me out of my misery?
45 of 75  -   Report This Post

malone

8th September 2019, 10:25
Theragman, I could be wrong, but I think it's from rhyming slang - the 'flight' being an inside feature.
46 of 75  -   Report This Post

murky

8th September 2019, 10:43
Malone, I don't think there's any doubt about your explanation. However, it's unusual for language that originated in the cockney community to be indicated by just 'London". Usually it's 'East London'.
47 of 75  -   Report This Post

theragman

8th September 2019, 11:38
Many thanks malone and it is small wonder It meant nothing to me. The answer surely cannot equate with its definition without its usual accompaniment however. A very poor definition indeed, especially, as has been mentioned, that London on its own is insufficient as well.
48 of 75  -   Report This Post

theragman

8th September 2019, 12:04
For cockie and anyone still struggling with the final jumble, go to anagram-solver.net and all will be revealed. A useful link to have...
49 of 75  -   Report This Post

hw77

8th September 2019, 14:25
Re: The answer surely cannot equate with its definition without its usual accompaniment however.

Ragman - the very point of Cockney rhyming slang is to separate the components of the phrase from the rhyme to those outside of knowledge of the derivation.

As per ‘My old Dutch’ for ‘wife’ - meaningless unless you know the derivation ‘Duchess of Fife’.

Excellently clued, and not at all a cause for complaint.
50 of 75  -   Report This Post