CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ginge

17th June 2019, 19:53
Hi schorley, nut (printing) is an en, given in Chambers.
61 of 81  -   Report This Post

schorley

17th June 2019, 20:02
Ginge, I agree, your explanation is better :)
62 of 81  -   Report This Post

rad

17th June 2019, 20:33
Casanova:
Right! That leaves just ten spaces for the ten letters.

Thanks to many hints on this site, I’ve got it now. Very clever indeed. Even after pondering the hints offered, I took a long time overcoming difficulties such as

the fact that the eight letters making up the first part of the large object do not form one word, and

the absence of the very familiar second half of one of the characters’ usual name - it looks as if it should be there in full!
63 of 81  -   Report This Post

casanova

17th June 2019, 21:09
Thank you Schorley, Ginge and Rad.
Schorley, as soon as you mentioned the Iron Age settlement I could see what the answer must be.
64 of 81  -   Report This Post

casanova

17th June 2019, 22:06
Finished now, but I don’t see any brilliant denouement in the bottom line and I am not able to choose between clashes in the finish of the scene as I am not able to identify any characters with the six alternatives from either the episode or the series. Any help would again be much appreciated.
65 of 81  -   Report This Post

crates

17th June 2019, 22:24
casanova - think you are already there and looking for too much - No great denouement with bottom line - just a way of getting rid of leftover letters after the writer has been withdrawn. And the clashes just revert to the other letters giving a normal crossword fill which means the two characters disappear (as the second scene is in another part of the room). That was how I read it....
66 of 81  -   Report This Post

casanova

17th June 2019, 22:41
Thank you Crates. So do you think that the change in ‘ the characters'i is optional; that three would be correct however they were presented in the final grid?
67 of 81  -   Report This Post

crates

17th June 2019, 23:10
i do not submit - But assume the submission would show the third character in the top line - the larger object deleted (I would just highlight in dark colour) and both letter clashes included...but those who submit might have other ideas....
68 of 81  -   Report This Post

rad

17th June 2019, 23:27
The preamble says “enter the other combination from clashes”. I don’t think this leaves submitters with any option but to do just that.
69 of 81  -   Report This Post

casanova

18th June 2019, 05:58
I don’t submit, but I think I agree with Rad that you should change all of the original combinations. The preamble states that initially the combination that includes an object and two characters should be chosen. The characters must surely be individuals, presumably from the tv series or the episode.The object and two clashes that are dependent on the object are pretty obvious. So logically the two characters should be revealed by the two independent clashes to avoid any ambivalence. However I can see no restriction on the eight independent choices that the independent clashes reveal. I cannot establish a definite combination for the early part of the scene.

70 of 81  -   Report This Post