CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

samovar

16th June 2019, 22:17
Thanks very much Mandyrob0704. I had briefly considered the "u". Very good to have it confirmed !
Thanks again.
51 of 81  -   Report This Post

smellyharry

17th June 2019, 00:20
I thought this was very nearly very very good. I thought the top row change was clever and the fact that you can make the writers name out of some of the letters in the object is neat, and the scattered mess at the end also neat.

The thing that is bugging me is the clashes. I can’t see why you need three of them at all: the one letter works fine, the second letter doesn’t add anything. So the entire clash thing appears to be to change an n to a c to get the x into the bottom line. Maybe there was no other way to get it in (lx would have worked?). Am I missing something with the clashes?
52 of 81  -   Report This Post

malone

17th June 2019, 06:55
Smellyharry, if we didn't have the clashes, we wouldn't initially be showing two characters and an object. We need the alternative clash letters to make these vanish, change.
53 of 81  -   Report This Post

notrab

17th June 2019, 08:57
Further strong nudge on 23 down appreciated. I had removed the U but srill cannot see how to work out the answer. I assume it provides clashing cell?
54 of 81  -   Report This Post

crates

17th June 2019, 09:49
Notrab - wordplay - abbrev for 'succeeded' + synonym for 'spirit' (in the sense of courage) with the first letter (m for money) removed
55 of 81  -   Report This Post

crates

17th June 2019, 09:54
Your assumption on clashing cell correct
56 of 81  -   Report This Post

notrab

17th June 2019, 10:21
Thanks crates. All completed now. I had been trying to construct the answer to 23 down by putting the second letter of 29 across into cell 29 thus getting an answer to 23 beginning NEY!! Too clever by half. Incidentally, I thought this was a really well constructed puzzle with excellent clues.
57 of 81  -   Report This Post

crates

17th June 2019, 11:36
I agree - It made me youtube the incident again (still funny even when you know the outcome...)
58 of 81  -   Report This Post

casanova

17th June 2019, 17:57
I would much appreciate some help with 42a. Also I don’t see how you can make new words for20d. 30d. and 31d. with the available letters
59 of 81  -   Report This Post

schorley

17th June 2019, 19:37
This one is ( unfairly? ) tricky ! The answer is a tiny Swiss precinct famous for Iron Age discoveries ( 2, 4 )

Put an E in the first word of the clue. A synonym of this gives a 4-letter word, then add E for eat and N for nut inside what you have so far. "Voila" as they say...

60 of 81  -   Report This Post