CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

15th June 2019, 09:19
...it looks tough today!
1 of 81  -   Report This Post

jlc

15th June 2019, 10:23
Grid fill not too taxing, but the endgame was indeed tricky Malone. Lots to admire though.
2 of 81  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

15th June 2019, 12:19
I can only assume I've made a mistake, as the endgame seems to make no sense. I erased the object, moved the appropriate 8 letters to create the surname and found 10 distinct down words from the remains, but that leaves the bottom line as gibberish reading across, or is that the point - a scattering of broken pieces?

Up to the endgame I thought the whole construction was very clever!
3 of 81  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

15th June 2019, 12:53
I found the same, S Pugh, with the only difference being that I can't create the distinct words with the remaining letters.
30 and 31 don't seem to want to make new words.
4 of 81  -   Report This Post

cockie

15th June 2019, 13:48
I'm finding it hard to interpret the first "combination" instruction. Does it refer to the 8 clash letters, or the 8 words incorporating them? And gaze as I might the (implied 18) letters of the * … * shapes continue to remain shrouded.
5 of 81  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

15th June 2019, 15:00
Tony - I have three words which don't extend, your two plus 20. The other ten can all pick up the remnants (and obey the no agent noun rule). I'm guessing that I must have it right, I just find the end result a little unappealing.

Cockie - it just refers to the actual clashes. 4 of them are used in the first scene (and believe me it will be obvious which ones to use once you suss the scene), you then put in the alternate 4 in the endgame phase. If you get the (main) right hand side of the object, it makes the left side easier. Even though there are 18 characters consider that they don't necessarily each have to contain 9 ....
6 of 81  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

15th June 2019, 15:34
Thanks S Pugh. Does that mean that there are 2 new 2 letter words?
7 of 81  -   Report This Post

tonynannini

15th June 2019, 15:37
....and yes, I agree that the bottom row is somewhat untidy, though it does possibly reflect the result of the incident.
8 of 81  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

15th June 2019, 15:51
That's what I have Tony - at 42d and errrrm ..., 42.5d!
9 of 81  -   Report This Post

planks

15th June 2019, 17:07
I seem to be making heavy weather of this. I have most of the grid filled but only one clash so far. Are they concentrated in one area? I don't have a scooby as to what the theme is, my thematic items seem to include a famous racehorse?! I think I may have made a mistake or two along the way.
10 of 81  -   Report This Post