CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

planks

8th April 2019, 12:19
So that would indicate to me that only those three need to be added for submission. There seems to be a debate as to whether the instruction should be followed and 'reprint' all the 'corner' letters.
91 of 113  -   Report This Post

planks

8th April 2019, 12:22
I love the idea quiz. In the past we've had colouring in, cutting and sticking, origami and now using Lego. Proper playschool for grown-ups!
92 of 113  -   Report This Post

alanw

8th April 2019, 17:24
Thank you very much unclued - a great help. But I still can't see how to get the g in his name without backtracking up to 5dn and then on to the s, which seems ridiculous.

Why do the extra e and m have to go in the centre cell and first m of his name? Couldn't they go in the next appropriate cell and still be visible?

So.....does the extra e of the poem's name go in the e or the a?

Finally (sorry to be a total numpty) I can't find the avian's destination on the W side.

Not doing too well, am I?

Thanks again!

93 of 113  -   Report This Post

smithsax

8th April 2019, 17:36
Do you have a G in 29? You should.
The doubled letters must go on the corner blocks where from the NE you can see 2 faces. The faces are the same as the top. You can only see one face of the other blocks rom that angle.
94 of 113  -   Report This Post

merenz

8th April 2019, 17:44
Alanw... don’t beat yourself up. This is a particularly hard listener I think, so you’re a brave man to even attempt it and you’ve done brilliantly to get this far :-)

The doubling up of the letters (in 3 cells) follows the diagonal from the centre square pointing NE, thus creating a pleasing pattern. Your G in the surname should be below cell 26. The doubling up is required so that you’re left with a triangular number (15) created by summing 1+2+3+4+5... these being the number cells to be highlighted in consecutive rows (your G representing the 1 row), or from the double E apex depending on how you look at it.

Don’t give up
95 of 113  -   Report This Post

merenz

8th April 2019, 17:48
Re the final destination. Think again about the triangular number formation in rows, but this time looking from the west side, starting with the central E again. Have a good read of the poem first... the final destination is not at the end!
96 of 113  -   Report This Post

alanw

8th April 2019, 22:02
Enormous thanks to both for your exhaustive replies. I soared to the realms with the feathered one and am looking at a pretty (green highlighter) triangle in the middle, looking from the SE that is. Well, why not try another view? Now all I need is some fairy lights for it....

Couldn't have done it without you.
97 of 113  -   Report This Post

catkin

9th April 2019, 12:22
So that I can finally put this one away, please can anyone help with 17a, 3d and 24d.
17a Magical Flower..... wolfram. I know the answer and the wordplay but can't backtrack to the magical flower.
3d Reportedly.... Willows. Again I know the answer but can't work out where the misprint fits. I thought it was "B" but this must be wrong.
24d Pay attention....cotton. I don't have the answer but it looks like RE?AR. I think the misprint must be "S" but can't locate it.
I found this ver difficult but the hints on this tread have really helped. Thank you to everyone!
98 of 113  -   Report This Post

simond9x

9th April 2019, 14:05
Hi catkin - very rare for me to be able to help on this forum!

17a - put your answer with wolfram, shake them up and there's your answer

3d - no misprint, I'm afraid

24d- your answer is correct so far. Put what you have into Chambers. There's only one suggestion and the definition should help with the misprint.
99 of 113  -   Report This Post

catkin

9th April 2019, 15:37
Hi Simond9x. Thank you for your reply. I have edged forward in that I have found my missing "T" misprint following your help. With 17a I have already tried to angramise the answer with W but have got nowhere. Am I looking for a mythological bloom? Or a river? Or am I missing the point altogether?
For 3d I have now made the horticultural connection. Thanks.
For 24d I followed your suggestion and worked through Chambers. And there it was!
Many thanks. If you are still checking in, a further hint for 17a would be welcome.
100 of 113  -   Report This Post