CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

murky

7th April 2019, 12:38
Planks, I'm not 100% certain I have the right poem and poet, but if I have, the poet uses lower case letters for his initials and name.

I found determining what is and what is not an extra word a real pain. Some words could have been extra or surface embellishment. Re 'Morecambe's' in 2d that has been mentioned, I fail to see anything in Chambers that justifies it, despite barista's comment. Chambers defines the answer as 'a glance'; there is no reference to dialect usage.

Saoralba, I think the grid does indeed represent the structure as seen from the air.
41 of 113  -   Report This Post

annie44

7th April 2019, 12:44
planks I think in third row, but could be red herring. I was so pleased with myself when I spotted it but has led nowhere.
42 of 113  -   Report This Post

planks

7th April 2019, 12:44
That's the one I also have murky. I've now found the name but it tested my ability to translate 2D into 3D, in my head, to the limit!
43 of 113  -   Report This Post

planks

7th April 2019, 12:47
annie44, it is relevant, I was counting it from the bottom as though I was looking up at the north face. Have you looked at the west face? you have to imagine the thing in 3D if possible.
44 of 113  -   Report This Post

quisling

7th April 2019, 12:47
Murky, “in Morecambe” refers to “always”, not to “glance”, surely?
45 of 113  -   Report This Post

murky

7th April 2019, 12:56
Yes, you're right, quisling. Careless of me to overlook that.

I am having problems getting a consistent viewpoint for the author and title. At the moment I have only 14 cells, one of which would not be visible. Also one of the cells that needs two letters appears to be the first cell of the four-word phrase. That can't be right surely, since it wrecks the phrase.

46 of 113  -   Report This Post

planks

7th April 2019, 13:13
I made the mistake of thinking that I must be viewing from the air, murky. Have you assumed the same?
47 of 113  -   Report This Post

annie44

7th April 2019, 13:13
Thanks planks, now one step farther on.
48 of 113  -   Report This Post

murky

7th April 2019, 13:37
No I assumed one should not be viewing from the air since the initial view is from the air, and the preamble refers to a third point of view. I suppose there is an angle where all that is to be highlight is visible, something like NNE.
49 of 113  -   Report This Post

wintonian

7th April 2019, 13:39
Hi, murky,

I think that the last sentence of the preamble means that the third view overrides the second view. So once you have the four words from the poem, you can add extra letters to any of those 18 cells if that’s necessary to get the author’s name and the title of the poem.
50 of 113  -   Report This Post