CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

alanw

7th April 2019, 22:47
New to Listener and this place! Decided (probably insanely) to attempt this week's, even thought it looked way above my current level. Have filled the grid and have (I hope) found eight extra words in 12, 22, 26, 30, 2, 9, 13 and 25. Have all the misprints, so structure and first point of view OK. Now what? I'm completely lost with the poet, title, destination, 2nd and 3rd point of view etc. Can someone help?
81 of 113  -   Report This Post

unclued

8th April 2019, 07:56
Welcome Alanw. We are always here every week if you get stuck.
I was unsure about “reprinted” (see my previous post) which might imply rewriting some of the letters. Hopefully someone else will clear that up.

As for the poet and title, view the grid from NE and start in the centre square. Then find just below it CUM going left to right. You need to double the central E and the M. Carry on like this and you will get the author E.E. CUM...... and the title just below it.
82 of 113  -   Report This Post

murky

8th April 2019, 08:10
Merenz, 'Reprinted' in 22a must be extra. There is no justification for it whatsoever in the wordplay. I take the point of it to mean that as you can view the structure from different angles, the letters are notionally repeated so they on the upper surface and on the side faces. in the case of the title and poet we have to reprint the letters to get the complete names.
83 of 113  -   Report This Post

unclued

8th April 2019, 09:02
Merenz, the extra word “on” comes from the start of 26ac.
The question remains what if anything is reprinted?
84 of 113  -   Report This Post

merenz

8th April 2019, 09:40
Thanks murky. I see how reprinted works in this context. Unclued - murky’s interpretation is correct I think. The word reprinted is device to aid viewing letters which would otherwise be invisible when viewing from particular angles, and hence see letters on consecutive rows of the grid rather than every other row. I’m sure this is a device to help solving rather than an instruction for how to submit it
85 of 113  -   Report This Post

unclued

8th April 2019, 09:53
Yes I agree - there may be trouble ahead for anyone who sends in solutions.
Meursault or Dja - are you around to confirm what is needed?
86 of 113  -   Report This Post

planks

8th April 2019, 11:32
Morning all, the preamble only mentions adding three extra letters?
87 of 113  -   Report This Post

simond9x

8th April 2019, 12:03
I made very heavy weather of the endgame. Having completed the grid, I highlighted all the cells where the same letters appeared adjacent to each other (eg. SS on the top row). I then tried to visualise my 3D structure, from various angles, using most/all of these. Needless to say, I got in a real b*gger's muddle with it all. A good night's sleep and a fresh approach sorted it all out eventually. Very clever, maybe too clever (for me).
88 of 113  -   Report This Post

unclued

8th April 2019, 12:03
Yes planks two Es and an M.
89 of 113  -   Report This Post

quiz

8th April 2019, 12:09
It works beautifully and there’s no need to modify the letters in any way in reference to ‘reprint’ - they are just repeated. I’d strongly recommend using Lego...
90 of 113  -   Report This Post