CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sunray

9th February 2019, 20:38
Thanks demeter.

I was looking at different kind of tragedy.
41 of 70  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

9th February 2019, 20:38
Thanks guys - So the concave cells come into play then?
42 of 70  -   Report This Post

planks

9th February 2019, 20:40
Yup :-)
43 of 70  -   Report This Post

monkjunk

9th February 2019, 21:41
Help with 2 twelve letter ones please.
Numbers 6 and 27.
44 of 70  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

9th February 2019, 21:50
Monkjunk - a hint at above:-

6. Think specific wedding anniversary (5 letters) followed by general term for a malady.

27. Think of a water sport popular in Cornwall say - I think the clue is poor as 'travel at sea' doesn't really seem right to me.
45 of 70  -   Report This Post

monkjunk

9th February 2019, 22:01
Thanks s_pugh for your help and speedy response.
46 of 70  -   Report This Post

rad

9th February 2019, 23:18
Planks - 32

I’m sure nobody would object if you started an “answers allowed if asked for” thread.
47 of 70  -   Report This Post

rad

9th February 2019, 23:25
Bobbycollins - 37

I think there may have been a misunderstanding here. Unlike most of the posts, yours seems to be asking for help with the 6-letter answers. I am not doing very well with the 12-letter answers but I think I’ve got the 6-letter ones. 11 does in fact contains not merely one but two Ds, and 13 contains, as you put it, three of the buggers, i.e. Es.
48 of 70  -   Report This Post

murky

10th February 2019, 07:21
Interesting to note the problems caused by Round 15. It's really essential to work out the wordplay because crossword solving aids don't list the word in a plural form. It's not given by TEA, and even when I guessed what the last five letters might be, Chambers CD partial word search failed to provide the answer, making me think my guess was wrong and the word was a Latin plural ending in A. That suggests that Chambers does not consider it a word to be pluralised, though I can't see why that should be.

It was a magnificent achievement to create such a grid without any ambiguities, and the clues are excellent, and very fair, but I confess to finding sorting out overlapping jumbles of 12-letter words a fiddly and unrewarding chore that played havoc with my eyes.
49 of 70  -   Report This Post

s_pugh

10th February 2019, 09:16
Like Murky I found the 12-letter jumbles played havoc, especially given the intricacy of the 'grid' (though it can hardly be called that!).

If it helps as a tip for anyone struggling, I found it easiest to set up a 19 line grid divided into 3 blocks of columns. In the central 12 columns I entered the answers as I got them, with the 6 leftmost columns holding the letters in the convex cells. In the rightmost 6 columns I entered the remaining letters. In this way it was a lot easier to check off those letters in the concave triangular cells shared between the 12-letter jumbles.
50 of 70  -   Report This Post