CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

30th September 2019, 19:44
Grunger
I support Everton. I too enjoyed the game, though not the result. Yes I did go to the market and cafe. I can do a report if you like.

Malone
I am pleased you have heard of Everton! It is a district of Liverpool, and the football club originally played there but for the last 100 years or so they have played at Goodison Park in the neighbouring district of Walton.

The Everton Public Library is a magnificent Grade 2 listed building, now derelict. Well worth a look if you are ever in the area.

I love your "epicure". I only got as far as "epic". Perhaps it should stand for Emeritus Professor Inspecting Cafes Using Refrigerated Eggs. I like fresh ones and I find many cafes use refrigerated ones which are often well out-of-date. The market cafe only uses fresh eggs. Actually, I am not sure if they have a fridge.

841 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

30th September 2019, 19:53
jigjag

That would be great. What did you think of the Times clue today. "Be endlessly agitated..................". I thought the split infinitive meant it did not work. The correct "Be agitated endlessly................" would have worked, I think.
842 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

30th September 2019, 20:17
Jigjag/EPICURE

The Everton Library sounds lovely...but it's unlikely that I'll ever see it. I've never been to Liverpool - I have nothing against the city, I've just never had a reason to go there.

I would ban refrigerated eggs, the subject of many arguments with friends, my mother, my sister, my daughter … over the years.

I really hope the market cafe does have a fridge, I wouldn't fancy warm milk or butter that hasn't been refrigerated overnight.

Grunger

You've chosen the one day I haven't done the Times puzzle to discuss a clue. I think your version of that clue sounds fine, but I have to say that split infinitives don't bother me unduly. (In some areas, I've mellowed over the years.)
843 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

30th September 2019, 22:15
Thanks Malone

I dont mind them if it makes the clue work, but here the split meant it didn't.

"Be endlessly agitated" was suppose to lead to "seeth(e)", but it does not.

Liverpool is a lovely city for tourists - great architecture, Beatles etc - notice I have not mentioned football.

I haven't been to Norwich or Bradford, or any Scottish cities except Glasgow
844 of 2514  -   Report This Post

pigale

1st October 2019, 10:59
Never looked at this thread before, and after visiting it for the first
time, already I find something with which I do not agree!

Since when is 'agitated' an infinitive? It is merely an adjective!

A split infinitive would occur were there a word between TO and BE,
but since the sentence starts with BE, it does not apply!

Would you say the sentence 'I like to be ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED before I voice my opinion' comprises a split infinitive?

I would not - but there again I am only French, sorry!
845 of 2514  -   Report This Post

cerasus

1st October 2019, 11:45
I am on here as it's raining !
I agree with Pigale. The clue works fine too
846 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

1st October 2019, 13:01
Pigale, Cerasus

I disagree. Be agitated = seethe. To drop the e, we need, "Be agitated endlessly".

As it is written, "endlessly" splits "be" and "agitated". Which of these 2 words is to be cut? It does not make sense.

I will write to the Editor, and let you know if I get an apology.

Pigale - Oui.
847 of 2514  -   Report This Post

pigale

1st October 2019, 13:18
Sorry Grunger but this does not change the fact that 'agitated' is NOT a verb, therefore cannot be an infinitive.

It's all a question of where one puts the adverb: before or after the
adjective it qualifies.

Whether the clue works or not was not the point I was questioning.
848 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

1st October 2019, 13:35
Pigale

The point is that "to be agitated" = "to seethe" is a verb.

Also, the compiler split it when he did not need to.

849 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

1st October 2019, 13:36
The mantra of not splitting infinitives is nonsense anyway. It derives from "schoolmen" in the 18th and 19th centuries, who based the idea on Latin, in which, as the infinitive is one word, it's not possible to split it.
There's simply no reason to follow this doctrine in English.
850 of 2514  -   Report This Post