CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

grunger

22nd September 2019, 21:33
Thanks ChriseE. I have just looked it up. Great idea to be able to play your shot again. It seems to be informal but you can agree with your group how many mulligans you can have. I wish we had them in cricket, but you would have to get everybody out twice.

I bet you never need one!
821 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd September 2019, 21:36
Mmmm - I'd like to think so!
822 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

23rd September 2019, 14:33
Malone

I am sure you enjoyed the -ista clue in the Times today, though probably not the "appeal" one.
823 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

23rd September 2019, 14:57
Jigjag,

I didn't mind the 'fashionista' clue, didn't like the SA one. Do you think the 'fashionista' works as well as 'barista' and others, I've always thought of it being a feminine appellation - but maybe I've missed it being used for men too.

Grunger

I'd frequent your greasy spoon place any day - I'm sure it's a far less stressful experience, getting a coffee, there. I'd definitely prefer a pie to some artisan sourdough with smashed avocado and heritage tomato.

Et al

I am as enthusiastic about golf as I am about cricket, so have merely speedread those posts.

824 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

23rd September 2019, 22:41
Malone

Yes, I too have always considered "fashionista" to be female. I think Grunger is one, from her earlier comments. "Barista" was new to me until you mentioned it recently. I thought it was the modern "Barmaid" so I suppose I thought it female also.

I have no idea what any of the items mentioned in your note to Grunger are. I am sure they are "healthy" though.

I like your "speedread" especially as it rhymes in the present tense. Is it better than "speeddating?"
825 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

25th September 2019, 10:14
Jigjag

Speedreading is indeed better than 'speeddating' - there's no chance of rejection for a start.

My lunch yesterday may appeal to you, certainly more than the smashed avocado. I tried a new café, La Bouilloire En Cuivre. I had a really nice meal. I opted for the special of the day, Haricots cuits au four sur moulin du roi, accompanied by an unlimited amount of the du constructeur. It was terrific value, £3.50 in total. That's probably what I'd have paid in one of the chains for a skinny decaff latte with soya milk.
826 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

25th September 2019, 17:36
Malone

It sounds like a wonderful lunch. I don't understand any of the French, so I will have to look them up.

You beat me on quality but I won on price. At the market cafe I had Poached Egg on Toast (one egg, one slice of toast) - 90p, and a cup of tea - 80p. Of course, I had the healthy option - no butter on the toast.

827 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

25th September 2019, 18:16
Jigjag, as a regular at the market, do you get 'mates' rates'? Your breakfast does indeed sound a bargain. My 'wonderful' lunch was more mundane than it may appear - baked beans on Kingsmill bread (I forgot to add 'toasted' when I was on Googletranslate, sorry!).
828 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

25th September 2019, 21:51
That's very clever Malone.

A superb lunch at the Copper Kettle or Kopper Kettle, I think you say. What's "du constructeur"? - I cant find an appropriate translation.

I hope you got 2 slices of toast.

I pay the full amount, I am not sure if the traders get a discount. One of the reasons I go is to listen to the banter between owner and waitress. It sometimes gets a bit heated but always ends well. I am going again on Saturday and will let you know if anything interesting happens.
829 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

25th September 2019, 22:09
Jigjag, thanks. I'm not skilled enough (on my keyboard) so couldn't put the accent in 'the du constructeur' - that's just 'builder's tea' - the stronger the better for me.

I did get two slices of toast, buttered toast, with my beans. There was also a wide-ranging set of condiments, though I've never known anyone put mayo or tartare sauce on beans on toast. I think the café just puts one of everything on their little tray.

There was a surprising lack of banter in the Copper Kettle, but that was perhaps because all the employees were speaking French. There must have been a dramatic incident at some point - the word 'Merde' cropped up many times. I do hope no-one was actually murdered.

Have a nice time - and a nice meal - on Saturday.
830 of 2514  -   Report This Post