CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

jigjag

13th September 2019, 16:46
Rosalind

In that case, I wish I had seen her! Having said that, I think ladies look better wearing something, even if it is a bikini or underwear.
811 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th September 2019, 16:55
Orson

I agree with you. Even worse, Surrey call it "The Kia Oval".
812 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

16th September 2019, 11:21
Orson

I was pleased that the setter used "Oval" in the Times (The Times!?) today.
813 of 2514  -   Report This Post

orson

16th September 2019, 12:03
That's interesting, jigjag, thanks. It is always written the Oval in its cricket reports and it's written so in Brewer's Dictionary of London Phrase and Fable. That book also reminded me that it's sometimes called Kennington Oval and that sounds much better to me than the Kia Oval.

As for the Times and The Times, opinion is divided on that in style guides. I can live with both but I prefer the former as The seems more obtrusive.
814 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

20th September 2019, 19:13
Luxembourg Prime Minister Xavier Bettel said ...

We need written proposals and the time is ticking.

Seems Luxembourg politicians are no better than ours.
815 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

22nd September 2019, 15:09
Oh Malone, I wish you had warned me about these places. A branch of Coffe Hero has opened in town and, remembering your comments of a couple of weeks ago, I decided to visit it.

“A coffee, please” I asked.
The young lady replied, “Would you like a cappuccino, latte, mocha, espresso, flat, ristretto………..”

“I am sorry to interrupt, but I don’t know what any of those are. I’ll just have a white coffee, please” I said.

“I’ll get you an Americano “, she said, “would you like normal, regular, hot or cold milk, cream…….”

I interrupted again, “I suppose you are a barista”

“Not yet. I’m a law student, and I prefer the female endings, so I am hoping to go from baristress to barristress.”

“I know someone who will not be pleased to hear that” I said.

The coffee was ready at last and I proferred a £1 coin.
“That’s £2.75”. I will not be going back.
816 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

22nd September 2019, 15:31
Jigjag, it sounds as if you'd be safer sticking to your usual haunts (the market and the fast food places).

Buying a coffee can be hard work nowadays. I was stunned the first time the barista asked me, 'do you want an extra shot?' An extra shot of what, I wondered - was I getting a free go on the lottery? And don't think you could just opt for tea - in that case, you'll be asked if you want green tea, black tea, fruit tea..

When you were asked for the £2.75, you should have said...

Do you want two £1 coins, a 50 pence coin, a 20 and a 5 or
two £1 coins, three 20s, a 10 and a 5 or
four 50s, three 20s, a 10 and a 5 or
five 50s, two 10s and a 5 …………….?
817 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

22nd September 2019, 19:04
Malone

That's a clever idea - counter-attacking, I suppose. It certainly was hard work. To keep the story short, I omitted the question about whether I had brought my own cup. "Surely that is provided, along with a teaspoon and perhaps sugar" I replied. "Yes, but you wont get the 20% "green" discount."

You are right about the "Greasy Spoon" cafe in the market that I frequent. No problems there. No green discount and no green tea. It is tea or coffee - and no credit cards. I must visit Ivan there next week.

I am relieved that you didn't get shot.
818 of 2514  -   Report This Post

grunger

22nd September 2019, 19:15
jigjag, Malone

I liked the story and Malone's suggested riposte. I bet you get more choice in the market than I do in my local caff. There is no brown sugar or sweetener, but the pies are great.

I believe golfers get an extra shot, but I dont understand it.
819 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd September 2019, 20:21
Hi grunger
The golfers' extra shot is called a "mulligan" - look it up!
820 of 2514  -   Report This Post