CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rossim

14th February 2019, 09:44
Something strange is going on. Malone's post hasn't appeared!
171 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th February 2019, 11:27
Preparations for the meal are going well. Mrs J has borrowed the book from the library, and I am off to Tesco. She has given me a card with the following message:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I’ve lent an’ it’s wrong (9)
I haven’t a clue

…………at least it scans!
172 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chips

14th February 2019, 12:06
Rose's are red,
Violet's are blue
I misuse apostrophe's
What about you?
173 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th February 2019, 13:48
That's nice, chips
174 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th February 2019, 14:13
ChrisE and Malone

It was a lovely lunch in the glorious sunshine. I bought the Tesco “al fresco dining package”, comprising a bottle of Prosesco and a Chinese meal for 2, “suitable for Chinese New Year or Valentine celebrations – use by 13 Feb”.

It is the Year of the Pig, which is apt for me, and I devoured the Sweet & Sour Pork. After the meal, Mrs J read her novel and I tried to come up with a clue to its title. I have given up now, all efforts were too long and cumbersome. The best I could manage was the following, which had a couple of relevant words in it.

Book taxi to town in France (South) – after Tesco’s miss company of the daughter, run in (4,2,3,1’11)

But Mrs J liked it, and she has asked me to pass on her thanks to ChriseE and Malone for their ideas, and to others for their kind comments.
175 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

14th February 2019, 16:34
Malone

When I was younger, it was always "Mister Chairman" and the occasional "Madam Chairman". I have always thought it OK, but I have never asked any women what they would prefer. "Chairwomen" sounds rather like "Charwoman" to me, and we know that is no longer acceptable.

I have heard some daft ones: Chairlady, and my daughter's School Council members had to say "Miss Chairman"
176 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

14th February 2019, 16:44
Thanks for the posts, jigjag. Glad all the Valentine's Day stuff worked out well. I don't envy you coming up with a clue for that book!

I've never liked 'Madam', it just seems so, so old-fashioned. I also feel it's not the female equivalent of 'Mister'. The scenario reminds me of being asked if I'd like to see a 'lady doctor' - no-one has ever asked me if I want to see a 'gentleman doctor'. Madam/Mrs/Miss/Mister Chairman seems needlessly long to me. I think we should have a totally new word to fit the role - all these committees can be overseen by Presidents, say.
177 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

14th February 2019, 19:34
Hello Malone et al.
I like your `President` or `Presiding Officer`...if the meeting is not too grand perhaps `Leader` would do? Interesting that Presidents, Prime Ministers, Speakers and Judges can be either sex but the Head of the Board seems to be male by default!
178 of 2514  -   Report This Post

tyke51

14th February 2019, 20:17
`Convenor` might be a possibility but its Trade Union `affiliations` might frighten the horses.
179 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

15th February 2019, 09:33
Malone and Tyke

Nothing seems to quite work. Possibly President is best. A local club has had a President (and not a chairman) for many years, and it works well. The problem is that many clubs have a "President" who does nothing, as well as the "Chairman" who is in charge.

At local Football and Cricket AGMs we just address the chairman as Betty and Dave. Everybody knows who we are talking to.
180 of 2514  -   Report This Post