CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rossim

10th February 2019, 11:59
I've walked into town and couldn't help looking for rogue apostrophes.
(Thanks Steve!)

All I noticed was the absence of a couple;

Mens Hairdressing and Pensioners Special

I find this less offensive to the eye than seeing them in the wrong place but still had a groan.
141 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

10th February 2019, 14:23
Thanks, Jigjag - your report of your outing was highly amusing. I'll probably have another read of it later as I need to unpack the latest load of shopping from Tesco/Tesco's/Tescos/Tescos'/Tescoses.

Rossim. Vigilance is good, if not always rewarding.
142 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

10th February 2019, 14:40
Thanks, Malone, your kind words make the writing of these pieces worthwhile.

I think you can add to your list of Tesco variations you listed. It would be interesting to see how many there are. In the same vein, I have been working on my sentence containing "PC". I have improved from 6 to 8 and hope for more.
143 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

10th February 2019, 15:04
Jigjag, I'd like fewer Tesco variations, not more! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to the market yesterday, it made for amusing reading. This is a short post as I have a pile of crosswords to tackle - Mepherto, Everywoman and the one in the Spectatrix.
144 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

10th February 2019, 16:11
Malone, Good luck with those crosswords. I have tried them in the past and they are too difficult for me. You need to be an expert in the subjects of Herstory and Gerperson, and I am not.

BTW - I am used to footballers playing "out of their skin", but I heard that a top female tennis player has won a match by being a " bit out of body". But which "bit"? I know you are a tennis fan, so how did she do it? I can't get my head round it.
145 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rossim

12th February 2019, 20:14
A couple of homophones I came across in a friend's Lady mag.

Promise lout announced, more or less. Answer OATH
I presume it's a homophone of OAF. Does the 'more or less' excuse it?

Divine vessels, we hear. Answer DOWSE
I presume it's a homophone of DHOWS but I would pronounce it differently.
146 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

12th February 2019, 22:03
Rossim, I don't think the 'more or less' excuses the awful 'homophone' - that's a setter clutching at straws! The dhows, dowse one wasn't quite as bad. I don't pronounce those two exactly the same, but maybe others do.

Jigjag, The 'bit out of body' stuff sounds far too airy-fairy for me - maybe it was the brain part that was absent?

In general, life as a pedant has been fairly humdrum over the past few days - I've seen nothing to irritate or anger me. This is a good thing … or so I keep telling myself!
147 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rad

13th February 2019, 00:21
A nearby pharmacy has had a board outside the shop for months, advertising flu jabs and originally saying (in large capitals) “NO APPOINTMENT NECCESSERY”. Someone must have told them that there was a misspelling, as the sign now reads “NO APPOINTMENT NECCESSARY”.
148 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th February 2019, 08:57
I was taught ' one collar and two cuffs', something I've never forgotten!
149 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th February 2019, 09:00
I obviously had forgotten!!
It must be 'two socks'.
150 of 2514  -   Report This Post