CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

8th February 2019, 21:34
SteveA6000, you wondered (earlier in this thread) if there would be awards. You'll be pleased to hear that discussions are underway, involving some blue-sky thinking and a 360 degree review. It's hoped that someone here will be the recipient of the FA Cup - exciting news, isn't it?

PS. The FA Cup is the Fusspots Association Cup and ought not to be confused with any other trophy.
121 of 2514  -   Report This Post

marca

9th February 2019, 00:07
I seen wot you are at and I applaud ir
122 of 2514  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th February 2019, 09:37
Match of the Day will be on tonight. In the post match interviews, watch how many English football managers and players say 'we was' - and how many foreign ones don't.
123 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

9th February 2019, 09:54
Tyke

Your "double u" theme cropped up in Skyfall which I watched on TV last night. In a dramatic first-scene chase, Bond asked for information about cars, and is told by his female co-agent,
"Feed up yer beetles", at least that is what it sounded like.

In a real life situation, the time wasted with the extra syllable, and the delay caused by Bond wondering why his insects needed nourishment, could have been fatal. But in a film it doesn't matter, and she soon shot him.

124 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

9th February 2019, 10:03
Oh, Malone, so that is its full name. I had forgotten that. It is now only referred to as the FA Cup, or this season, the absurd "The Emirates FA Cup".

I see that Derby's next match in this competition is at Brighton next Saturday. Good luck and see you at Wem-ber-ley!

I am now off to the market to see Ivan.

125 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

9th February 2019, 10:09
Brendan

I agree. The high standard of English shown by foreign players and managers amazes me. In a recent interview, the "hard man" of Italian football, Chiellini, spoke superb English, and he has only ever lived in Italy.
126 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

9th February 2019, 14:44
Jigjag, Pedants United likes to be seen to keep up with the times. We're not a bunch of old fuddy-duddies locked in the past. Our trophy will be another, equally absurd Emirates FA Cup.

Extremely
Meticulous
In
Rewording
All
The
Errors
Spotted

Fusspots
Association
Cup
127 of 2514  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th February 2019, 14:47
Excellent - well played Malone and all PU members/
128 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

9th February 2019, 14:54
Thanks, Brendan. My eyes usually glaze over at any mention of football, but I found the comments about the language skills interesting.
129 of 2514  -   Report This Post

brendan

9th February 2019, 15:01
Jigjag is right. It's a sad state of affairs when the overseas coaches and players have better grammar than many of the English ones.
130 of 2514  -   Report This Post