CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cerasus

13th February 2019, 09:07
Never Eat Crisps Eat Salad Sandwiches and Remain Young !
151 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th February 2019, 12:10
The recent record 52-hour hiatus in pedantry has stirred the Silly Words Annoy Pedants Society (SWAPS) into action. They released the following statement yesterday.

“Our raison d’etre, soon to be swapped, is to swap silly words for perfectly normal ones. We felt that “Chairperson”, although acceptable, is rather clumsy, so we have changed it to “Chair”. Similarly, our “Treasurer/ess” will be called “Treasure”, and even I have a new title…..” said a spoke.
152 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th February 2019, 12:26
Malone

I think you are right that the brain might have been affected. She may have been mis-quoted and probably meant to say something like this:

“I don’t know if I had brain freeze or if I was brain-dead, but it was a no-brainer to play on. I put my heart and soul into it, but I must have been out of my mind to continue in my out of body state. But I did play out of my skin.”

We would have all understood that!
153 of 2514  -   Report This Post

rossim

13th February 2019, 12:53
A morning's gardening has cleared my brain!
I think must have been 'one collar and two sleeves'.
154 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

13th February 2019, 15:47
Jigjag, I loved the chair, treasure... spoke! I remember once - years ago - being at a PTA meeting. Someone butted in a with a comment, and a rather pompous committee member immediately said 'All remarks should be addressed to the chair [Chair]'. I had to cover my loud snort with a louder fake cough. It's much more acceptable now, but I still think it's odd.

Rossim, glad you're getting your spelling under control.

I got some satisfaction on the pedant front today - a stall in an indoor market was selling 'Brolly's'.
155 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th February 2019, 18:10
Malone

I am chuckling here at the thought of you snorting and coughing all through your meeting. I hope there was plenty of water available to you.

It was nice to hear that you go to markets too. They are a rich source of material, and I am sure we would love to read a report of your visit!
156 of 2514  -   Report This Post

jigjag

13th February 2019, 18:25
As tomorrow is an important day, I have bought Mrs J an avocado from Ocado, some berries from Sainsberries and some roses from Waitrose's. I cannot think what to get from Tesco. Any ideas?
157 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th February 2019, 18:29
Could they arrange a dinner al fresco?
158 of 2514  -   Report This Post

malone

13th February 2019, 19:13
Jigjag, a good book is (or should) always be welcome - so Tess of the d'Urbervilles for tomorrow?

For my PTA meeting, with remarks to go 'through the chair', I would have dearly liked to pipe up - 'Isn't it the table's turn? The chair's been hogging things all night'.
159 of 2514  -   Report This Post

chrise

13th February 2019, 19:16
"Through the chair" isn't new, though. I remember it from Staff Room meetings in the mid 70s.
160 of 2514  -   Report This Post