CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

novice

4th February 2018, 08:27
All done apart from quote.

Can someone help with location/ hints/ wordlength please.
51 of 100  -   Report This Post

meursault

4th February 2018, 09:07
Hi Novice, I will help you as far as I can (after staring at the grid for about 15 minutes yesterday afternoon, and again for a short while late in the evening, I've parked this for the time being. We're only here for a short time and it seems silly spending any more than a little of that time looking at a full grid to find embedded words).

Now it's a nice sunny day, so again I have the excuse not to proceed...

...but. If the 3-word phrase is the only way we can distinguish between the options for which letters to enter on the 2 diagonals, then surely it must intersect at least one cell with a clash.

Have you considered that the source may be R&J, down in the bottom right corner ?
52 of 100  -   Report This Post

antmark

4th February 2018, 09:44
Novice, Meursault is correct about the source. If I give you the wordlengths, it would be very obvious. The phrase describes the task that you must undertake to complete the crossword successfully.
53 of 100  -   Report This Post

novice

4th February 2018, 09:58
Thanks both but Antmaek you overestimate my knowledge of the Bard. I’ve looked for an hour and a half this morning but can see nothing.

Is it in straight lines, a curve, in reverse? Help!!’
54 of 100  -   Report This Post

xij

4th February 2018, 09:58
Can anyone explain why it says “py” instead of “by” when reading down?
55 of 100  -   Report This Post

novice

4th February 2018, 10:01
It says Listener I Spy
56 of 100  -   Report This Post

xij

4th February 2018, 10:02
Forget that, I’ve just seen the “I spy”. Silly me.
Lovely puzzle, very clever.
57 of 100  -   Report This Post

gitto

4th February 2018, 10:20
At last I found the damn three word phrase with many, many thanks to Meursault. I was going word blind staring at the grid for hours with ever deepening despair. My elation yesterday quickly evaporated once I had spotted the ingenious double solution xanthippe presented us with, but now I am content. Once the phrase is found, there is no ambiguity for the correct solution!!
58 of 100  -   Report This Post

novice

4th February 2018, 10:36
Hi Gitto

I’ve gone blind! Can you help a poor soul!
59 of 100  -   Report This Post

djawhufc

4th February 2018, 10:52
Hi Novice

Email me at
daniel.angel@btopenworld.com

for final step if you need it.
60 of 100  -   Report This Post