CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

cockie

3rd February 2018, 13:22
wintonian - I'm inclined to agree that it refers to what we have already done in some of the 18 highlighted cells. aspria - which cell do you mean?
21 of 100  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd February 2018, 13:40
Hi, cookie,

aspria’s comment now has me worried. If we resolve the clash in question to give the name of the creator, then the three-word phrase contains a spelling error, so it does not, in the strict sense, “appear in the completed grid”. As we are required to choose one of the two clashing letters, we can’t have both the creator’s name and the phrase in the completed grid at the same time. I suspect that this is deliberately thematic.
22 of 100  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd February 2018, 13:42
Hi, antmark, sorry, missed your post - we seem to be thinking the same here.
23 of 100  -   Report This Post

cockie

3rd February 2018, 13:55
This is getting worse! The 10th letter in the long down has to be changed so that the creator is shown. But the letter in the creator (6th of 7) is now the same as the 6th letter of the "third word". So where's the clash?
24 of 100  -   Report This Post

om1957

3rd February 2018, 14:04
Thanks cockie, I agree with you. I was worried I was missing something.
25 of 100  -   Report This Post

buzzb

3rd February 2018, 14:23
Can anyone explain the significance, if any, of the way each clue has a leading letter separated out where you would usually find a number. I have finished this but I do not understand why Xanthippe did this. If anything, it makes the puzzle MUCH easier. Is this to suggest a connection to the radio alphabet?
26 of 100  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd February 2018, 14:37
Cockie, unless I’m missing something, the 10th letter of the long down answer stays the same. It’s the sixth letter of the lower 11-letter word (which is the same cell) that has to change to give the third letter of seven in the creator’s surname (the fifth of nine including the creator’s initials).
27 of 100  -   Report This Post

antmark

3rd February 2018, 14:42
So, am I to assume that the entry for the loopholes clue is entered with the sixth letter changed ? If so, the 3 word phrase is compromised. If not , the creator is compromised instead. I can't see a way around this.
28 of 100  -   Report This Post

antmark

3rd February 2018, 14:53
Oh dear! Apologies. Wrong hero. Problem now resolved. Chose the wrong clashing letters. Was wondering why "their creator" appeared in the rubric. Now all is clear.
29 of 100  -   Report This Post

aspria

3rd February 2018, 14:56
Yes I meant the 6th letter of the third word. The word 'their' in the preamble is important,
30 of 100  -   Report This Post