CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

aspria

3rd February 2018, 11:28
Have finally twigged why it's important to get the three word phrase - crucial in fact - but still can't see it! One word that apppeared puzzling at first in the preamble also now clear.
11 of 100  -   Report This Post

cockie

3rd February 2018, 11:54
A nice puzzle until the final stage. We are told to highlight the character and the creator: straightforward enough. The three-word quotation can be read as an instruction, which I suspect is what Xanthippe wants us to carry out. But is the first word an instruction which we should apply to the second and third words? Or to the cells defined by the third word? Either way some of the highlighting is affected. I do hate these ... er ... third word. How have others interpreted it?
12 of 100  -   Report This Post

dylan

3rd February 2018, 11:57
For those of us who haven't managed to get to the end-game, please could we have some nudges? I still can't see the lower 11 letter entry, and I'm baffled by the UCLA freshers. Help appreciated
13 of 100  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

3rd February 2018, 12:09
lower 11 entry is synonym for loopholes. Can't explain the UCLA clue although it is filled.
If anyone gets the phrase, please nudge as grid staring is spoiling my weekend!
Thanks
14 of 100  -   Report This Post

aspria

3rd February 2018, 12:18
cockie I see your point - for me it clarifies (in one cell) how the completed grid should appear
15 of 100  -   Report This Post

caphrist

3rd February 2018, 12:19
fgsltw, google quotes using the source and one of the longer entries.
16 of 100  -   Report This Post

fgsltw

3rd February 2018, 12:28
Thanks Caphrist. That solves the grid staring problem.
17 of 100  -   Report This Post

meursault

3rd February 2018, 12:53
Dylan. meg replacement abbreviation same as millibar, liability synonym is opposite of innocence. Whole thing is what solvers hate to find in Listener preambles...
18 of 100  -   Report This Post

wintonian

3rd February 2018, 13:11
Hi, Dylan, the definition is “UCLA freshers at party”, where UCLA stands for a generic US university. For the wordplay, you have a three letter word for “take drugs”, with “sex, not without”, all of this “inhaling” the chemical symbol for helium.

The three word phrase sums up the theme nicely. Does it refer to something we have already done, or is it something we have to do? As the phrase “appears in the completed grid”, I think this rules out the latter.
19 of 100  -   Report This Post

antmark

3rd February 2018, 13:20
Hi, all. I seem to have "completed", but have an irritating clash in the creator's name where it crosses the 3rd word of the quotation. Any advice please? Thanks in advance.
20 of 100  -   Report This Post