CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

brendan

15th August 2026, 19:33
Hi Jono @52,

Are you referring to the Tony and Olivier award winner or one even further back. I ask because, years ago, I remember doing a barred puzzle and part of the wordplay of one clue required the silver to know an actor from over a century ago - alas, the name escapes me!
71 of 86  -   Report This Post

jono

15th August 2026, 19:43
Hi Bren, yes it’s Herbert Beerbohm ????, who for no accountable reason has gone down in crossword history and has in the past been clued simply as “actor”.
72 of 86  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th August 2026, 19:50
That's the chap!

I'm so glad and relieved you were able to name him Jono as it would have driven me crazy otherwise 👏
73 of 86  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th August 2026, 19:56
... and I had Googled "actors named ???? from a century ago" but he didn't appear.
74 of 86  -   Report This Post

dhope

15th August 2026, 21:19
Thanks to Pasquale for a very enjoyable challenge, not a compiler that I remember solving before but will look out for the name in future. Had to check with Google for a couple of new words ie 13 .
FOI 18d. LOI 27 COD a few favourites 27, 25 and 28.
Particularly pleasing in that I’ve managed the parsing without needing to seek help from the forum. Also loved 8d one of my first solutions.
75 of 86  -   Report This Post

rocky7

15th August 2026, 22:41
Since a certain degree of catharsism seems to be coming out today likewise Brendan I have performed such shameful acts before. Good to get it out there. Glad we were able to work through it together.
76 of 86  -   Report This Post

quocunque

16th August 2026, 08:11
geeker@49
If the engineer is Isaac he has 5 letters.
77 of 86  -   Report This Post

quocunque

16th August 2026, 08:18
As you were. Got mixed up with the wrong bloke.
78 of 86  -   Report This Post

pamd

16th August 2026, 09:40
Finished, with a couple of uses of CrosswordSolver but before coming to read the forum. Couple of words I had to "invent" and then verify: 8d and 23a.

FOI:17/16
LOI: 5a
COD: rather liked 11a, but my LOI of 5a was very neat

Started fairly slowly but then it came together. An entertaining and satisfying puzzle.
79 of 86  -   Report This Post

terrymerv

16th August 2026, 14:55
@mattw I'm glad I wasn't the only one initially putting in the obvious answer with the canned American drink, until I realised what "daily" meant. It was right near the end of my solution.
80 of 86  -   Report This Post