CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

ilippu

15th August 2026, 18:09
Apologies.

My parsing @8 for 9d was incorrect - the last two parts should be 5 and 4 and not the other way around :-(
61 of 86  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th August 2026, 18:16
Hi ilippu, it's amazing how many of us got tripped up by that clue.
62 of 86  -   Report This Post

ilippu

15th August 2026, 18:23
Yes Brendan, was looking at the forest in stead...

I apologize once again, as posting incorrect parsing is a sin - wasting other people's time :-(
63 of 86  -   Report This Post

rocky7

15th August 2026, 18:28
We're all friends here Ilippu. We've all been there. We just get there together.

Brendan it was 17, 16 for me that I was appalled it was my LOI. It should have been my first.
64 of 86  -   Report This Post

roof

15th August 2026, 18:29
Well, I read through all the clues and only got two. I had trouble with the very small print in the newspaper. Then, I decided I must help my husband deal with the pantry moth infestation. I'd taken everything out and left him to clean our pull-out unit. We've had to clean everything and throw lots of open packages out. The moths got everywhere including inside what I thought were sealed plastic containers. I think pantry moths should occur in crosswords in either the clue or the solution. I'd never heard of them before.

I'll have another go at the crossword tomorrow if I can be bothered.

Moths still flying everywhere!

65 of 86  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th August 2026, 18:30
We've all done it ilippu, and besides, you've built up so much goodwill in the credit column, I seriously doubt anyone will give it a second thought:-)
66 of 86  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th August 2026, 18:34
No reason to apologise, ilippu. Lots of attempted parsings posted here turn out to be wrong!
67 of 86  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th August 2026, 18:39
Full disclosure re 17,16 Rocky - based on the crossers in the second word and the third word of the clue, I took a chance on what it would be and then just went to Chambers and entered it preceded by ????? which have a very plausible answer, and then I immediately saw the wordplay.

I know, the shame 😞
68 of 86  -   Report This Post

elliptic

15th August 2026, 18:42
Apologies chrise, I seem to have missed half the posts including @26 before posting my repeat of your comment.
69 of 86  -   Report This Post

justsolve

15th August 2026, 19:08
Thanks Chrise and Rogerm. And to Pasquale of course. Tricky puzzle fully parsed, very sayisfying!
70 of 86  -   Report This Post