CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

 

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

chrise

15th August 2026, 16:08
Four letters, quocunque - a specific engineer. There's a 4 letter fish and a 4 letter "something wooden", but that leaves an S unaccounted for.
51 of 86  -   Report This Post

jono

15th August 2026, 16:09
I was disappointed that the wood bit wasn’t clued as our favourite actor! 😂
52 of 86  -   Report This Post

elliptic

15th August 2026, 16:09
(that referred to 12 btw)
53 of 86  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th August 2026, 16:10
elliptic
See mine @26. They were rather more than servants.
54 of 86  -   Report This Post

chrise

15th August 2026, 16:14
I suppose "a fish, a few fishes, lots of fish"?
55 of 86  -   Report This Post

rocky7

15th August 2026, 17:08
The fish is the plural for sure. As is the wood. Can I just confirm that the meaning is the first three words not the first six words as previously stated. The subject of a great Alan Sillitoe short story (spoiler).

Not as easy for me as others found. Bottom half went in much more easily than the top. And many words I learned for the first time.

FOI 18d. LOI 17, 16.

COD 20d. Not sure why. Thanks Pasquale for a fun solve and for broadening my vocabulary.
56 of 86  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th August 2026, 17:13
Hi Rocky,

Regarding the AS question, the answer is yes. The "something wooden" is singular though - unless I misunderstood what you meant.
57 of 86  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th August 2026, 17:15
... and yes, the definition is the first 3 words.
58 of 86  -   Report This Post

rocky7

15th August 2026, 17:47
Yes Bren. Correct. I had one S too many.
59 of 86  -   Report This Post

brendan

15th August 2026, 17:57
No problem, thanks Rocky, and count me as one of those who initially wondered why the "something wooden" began with a plural indicator (trying to be deliberately vague to avoid spoilers).

In retrospect, I'm mystified as to how long that one thing held me up 😂
60 of 86  -   Report This Post