CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

roof

1st July 2023, 19:49
I forgot to include 8d as a COD.
41 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

1st July 2023, 20:05
Hi Roof, I’ll have a go at answering these…
11a anagram of thing + a word for female beast
15 a three letter acronym for ‘too far’ then a three letter Scots word for out (away)
18 the first four letters are a US pop diva, so the word, whimsically, might be like this person?
28 four letter Queen, then one letter for wrong and one letter for first of E rror
16,4 is an anagram of (myth has) + leader in E rror around two letters for party and gate directly from the clue, then the last two words a synonym for domestic function.

Writing this I see “leader in error” is used twice, hmm.
42 of 54  -   Report This Post

micky

1st July 2023, 20:38
While I was solving this it felt like a difficult one, but I managed to do it all without help from this forum or my wife, and in less time than usual, so that feeling seems to have been misleading. (Someone else said something similar; I forget who.) FOI 17a, LOI 28a. COD 16a, 4d, without a doubt, with 8d & 11a as runners up. There were several others that I liked, too. I agree that 21a was not a good clue, because the definition isn't quite right. My guess is that that's the reason for the question mark, in the spirit of "It may be a caught man, perhaps", but even if it is I think it's rather week. My lack of knowledge of sports and popular culture leaves me in the dark as to who the player is in 10a. Wikipedia has a long list of people who fit, many of whom are players either in the sense of sports people or in the sense of musical performers, but I'm not going to spend time checking each one of them to see which is the most famous, presuming that's the one needed. If anyone feels like pointing me in the right direction that will be nice.

43 of 54  -   Report This Post

micky

1st July 2023, 20:42
I suppose using "leader in error" in two clues is not a serious blunder (or a leader in errors?) like Brummie's spelling mix up last week, but I still think it was, at best, careless.
44 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

1st July 2023, 20:43
Hi Micky, the player in this case is an actor not a sportsperson, first name Tom?
45 of 54  -   Report This Post

micky

1st July 2023, 20:48
Thanks, Jono. Yes, I did think of actors as well as sports people and
musicians, but forgot to mention them in my post. Well, it seems that I am even more out of touch than I thought, in fact FAR more than I thought, because the name of "one of the most popular and recognizable film stars worldwide" (according to someone writing at Wikipedia) means absolutely nothing to me.
46 of 54  -   Report This Post

nickih

2nd July 2023, 06:13
Hi, I found this puzzle quite tough and spent all day yesterday chipping away at the clues. I have finally got there apart from 6a which has me stumped. I have M?S?A? Any help would be most welcome. Thank you
47 of 54  -   Report This Post

jono

2nd July 2023, 06:45
Hi Nickih, your letters are correct. You need a 5 letter Russian name and 1 letter softly (the usual one). Think of the expression ‘to drop a brick’
48 of 54  -   Report This Post

nickih

2nd July 2023, 07:15
Thanks Jono.
49 of 54  -   Report This Post

jvector

2nd July 2023, 13:27
Stuck on 13 * L * E * - last one in. I don't do much pop culture so if it's a UK sleb I'm unlikely to know of them;
I don't like what Paul's done in 20d - the answer doesn't gel with the def for me.
And I have an answer I can't parse yet in 29a.
More fun overall than Paul's last one which was way too 'clever' for my taste. 11a, 21a cunning.

I shall now go through the 5 pages of comments...
50 of 54  -   Report This Post