CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quocunque

22nd January 2023, 15:50
The "t" woujld come at the end.
71 of 82  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2023, 15:53
Spoilers now OK, I think. It's (t)ITAN around ALI
72 of 82  -   Report This Post

quocunque

22nd January 2023, 15:53
I follow your thinking Chris but it's the indirect anagram I object to. As it stands the clue doesn't work.
73 of 82  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2023, 15:54
As I said (t)ITAN isn't anagrammed, so it's not an indirect anagram!
74 of 82  -   Report This Post

quocunque

22nd January 2023, 15:57
But "titan" isn't part of the fodder, giant is, so you first have to find a synonym to solve the clue, i.e. an indirect anagram.
75 of 82  -   Report This Post

chrise

22nd January 2023, 16:00
Yes, but it's not an anagram!
76 of 82  -   Report This Post

quocunque

22nd January 2023, 16:02
Maybe my term "indirect anagram" isn't entirely accurate but I have always understood that the fodder for a clue should be contained within the clue and you shouldn't have to go looking for synonyms.
77 of 82  -   Report This Post

buddy

22nd January 2023, 16:13
Clues where you have to find a synonym, and then do something to the synonym, are very common (Spoonerisms are one example). From this week's Listener:

Characteristic flourish wanting introduction to suggest....

So you have to find a synonym for flourish and then remove the S.
78 of 82  -   Report This Post

jennaralissima

22nd January 2023, 22:41
Congrats to brendan for finishing this so amazingly fast. I am having real trouble with this one (11clues unsolved) and am giving up. But, maybe, if there's anyone left on this thread, I might ask for a hint for 1A? I've read through nearly all of this thread but if there are any hints I've missed them.
Otherwise, I can wait until the solution is posted.
I found this to be too difficult, but, maybe my brain has got too much else to work on (it has).
BTW, we pronounce the actor's last name differently on the Western side of the Pond.
79 of 82  -   Report This Post

jono

22nd January 2023, 23:00
1a is a musical instruction for ‘quickly’. Two letters ‘very’ around all of… three letters for ‘coin’ after one letter back of burea’u’
80 of 82  -   Report This Post