CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

rocky7

21st January 2023, 17:52
Still can't believe it Brendan. I was there throughout 89, 91, 98, 2002, 2004 and they've struggled to live up to those teams. I never thought I'd see them this good again. I'm going tomorrow and that's going to be a real test as it always is against an Utd.
51 of 82  -   Report This Post

minno

21st January 2023, 18:11
11a is holding me up. What am I missing that everyone else is getting?
52 of 82  -   Report This Post

rainman

21st January 2023, 18:15
It parses as 2+4 - homophones of 'I see' as an exclamation and 'cunning'.
53 of 82  -   Report This Post

brendan

21st January 2023, 18:24
Rocky, I see Arsene was there a few weeks ago, he must be pleased to see them doing so well. As you can probably gather, I'm delighted we managed to get 3 points today, we sorely need them!

Good luck tomorrow:-)
54 of 82  -   Report This Post

minno

21st January 2023, 18:44
Thank you Rainman. I kept thinking Paisley when I thought of pattern. So not so far away. As for football, I'm not that into it. I'm an Everton supporter.
55 of 82  -   Report This Post

abz

21st January 2023, 19:44
I really struggled with this. I got a few and then was stuck for a long time until I worked out the theme and then everything fell into place. Please note 20a is one of those clues that only works for people with a certain kind of English accent, an accent I don't have. Paul is my favourite setter so I was disappointed it took me so long to crack this puzzle.
56 of 82  -   Report This Post

chrise

21st January 2023, 20:17
ABZ
If you mean 21a rather than 20a, it really doesn't work in any accent; I don't see how you could possibly match the second syllable (unless your pronunciation of the actual answer was extremely casual, I suppose). I "groaned" at this one earlier!
57 of 82  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

21st January 2023, 20:46
Completely agree, Chris. As an American, I'm not always sure, but I don't think the homophones work anywhere near as much as setters seem to think. Glad to have a Brit support that view. I didn't care for the other one in this puzzle either.
58 of 82  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

21st January 2023, 20:48
Re geeker @46, ironically it was my LOI. Wasn't expecting it I guess, but once I had the crossers (and the theme) it became clear.
59 of 82  -   Report This Post

micky

21st January 2023, 21:41
Well, I finished much more quickly than usual, but there were times when I was really stuck. I didn't see the theme for a long time, even after I had got quite a number of the thematic clues. When I did get it, it helped a lot. Several clues I had to Google after I had found the answer, to confirm that a relevant word existed and had the necessary meaning. FOI 3d, LOI 11a, COD 13a,20d. For me, the homophones in 21a work perfectly, and I would have thought that they would for well over 90% of English people, not just those with a particular type of English accent. However, I suppose there are probably some parts of the north where the second syllable is given a more emphatic pronunciation, as is the case with "computer", for example.
60 of 82  -   Report This Post