CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

30th December 2022, 15:58
THE CLUES
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any special instructions or additional information should also be included.
HINTS only, please, no answers.

THE THEME
Gentle nudges towards the theme may also be requested here. There's no definitive definition of 'gentle' or 'nudges', but the aim is to help the would-be solver without spoiling the puzzle for others and, importantly, without giving too much away. Please try to avoid any allusions to the theme, and if anything IS inadvertently revealed, the mention is likely to be removed.

THe Listener is a unique puzzle and should be treated with respect.
1 of 74  -   Report This Post

cockie

30th December 2022, 17:00
Well over 2 years since we had a Kea, and the clueing is much kinder than he has sometimes been in the past. The early finish is because 4744 appeared on line an hour early, which was a nice bonus on a cold rainy afternoon. Thanks, Kea. And thanks too for producing a new kind of grid.
2 of 74  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

30th December 2022, 17:11
Bloody hell, cocky. I came here to admit to throwing in the towel after reading the preamble, but must now give it a go in light of your success!
3 of 74  -   Report This Post

quisling

30th December 2022, 17:11
Lovely puzzle. Not quite the challenge I was expecting when I saw Kea's name, but beautifully crafted, as one would expect, and an interesting history lesson
4 of 74  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

30th December 2022, 17:13
apologies for my spelling cockie😆
5 of 74  -   Report This Post

malone

30th December 2022, 18:48
To all Friday solvers... I post this thread around 4 pm as that's what we did in the lockdown days, and that's the time the puzzle is normally available to subscribers. I don't see the puzzle until Saturday morning, so would appreciate it if any Friday solver wants to start off this thread when the puzzle appears early... as it did today. Thanks.

PS Of course, any Forum member is welcome to start this thread any week - I really just do it out of habit! The wording is much the same every week, it incorporates the things Norah (Site Administrator) wanted highlighted.
6 of 74  -   Report This Post

cockie

30th December 2022, 21:35
It don't seem to be broke, Malone, so if you're happy to do it each Friday there's no need to fix it. I'm sure we're all delighted with your hebdomadal diligence.
7 of 74  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

30th December 2022, 21:58

Thank you Kea. Really enjoyed the interesting variation. The denouement made us smile, as did 23 dn. We did use scissors though.
8 of 74  -   Report This Post

malone

30th December 2022, 22:18
Thanks, Cockie. I'm quite happy to carry on starting the thread. It was the early appearance of today's Listener that prompted my remarks. I thought that other subscribers might appreciate a notificaton of the early arrival!
9 of 74  -   Report This Post

gitto

31st December 2022, 13:21
This is driving me mad(der?). I have a full grid other than I cannot solve 14a or 34d - and I am only missing 3 letters in 14a and the middle 2 in 34d. A gentle nudge would be appreciated.
10 of 74  -   Report This Post