CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quixote

2nd January 2023, 16:51
Nah - forget the D**a - was OK first time - getting a bit punch-drunk...
61 of 74  -   Report This Post

adeano

2nd January 2023, 18:41
Well, I’m baffled. Apparently something has been given away, but I have no clue what!

Grid full, found it quite easy to deduce the rod thickness and the thematic clues.

But no idea what the thematic work is, or where to look for the message.

The six initial letters which some seemed to think were too obvious mean absolutely nothing to me…
62 of 74  -   Report This Post

adeano

2nd January 2023, 19:04
Ok, a more careful reading of the preamble has given me the thematic work!

Had to look up the closing words though, didn’t know them.

Still can’t find the message
63 of 74  -   Report This Post

adeano

2nd January 2023, 19:12
Found it!

That was a grid stare and a half…

Sorry to have clogged up the forum with my inept solving! Posting sometimes knocks free the brain cells…
64 of 74  -   Report This Post

0pt0

4th January 2023, 15:24
I have everything except the final four word timely message. I have been looking for something akin to the seven word phrase by RB which finishes a novel (also a film) whose title includes a thematic word, but to no avail. I do not want to be more specific for fear of breaking the rules of this thread, but I now think that novel/film must not be the work referred to in the preamble. If anyone understands what I am trying to spell out, perhaps they would be kind enough to tell me whether I am barking up the wrong tree or not.
65 of 74  -   Report This Post

buddy

4th January 2023, 15:33
The novel and the film end differently
66 of 74  -   Report This Post

0pt0

5th January 2023, 09:15
Many thanks Buddy. All is now clear.

The ingenuity of the setter is absolutely awesome.
67 of 74  -   Report This Post

smithsax

5th January 2023, 12:32
I was going to post this comment last Saturday but decided to wait for fear of giving too much away too early.
Those still struggling to find the message should consider the puzzle title which I think is a deliberate hint.
68 of 74  -   Report This Post

thepost

7th January 2023, 11:15
Still stuck on a few clues - any nudges would be greatly appreciated:

15 across - Maybe Spanish Harlem's.......
28 across - Book ending a series
1 down - Bloody fool keeping........
23 down - Italians with a hunch......
26 down - Is shedding higher.......

Also any helpful hints on what to do with a down answer after it has reached the bottom row. I would appreciate it - but don't break the rules!
69 of 74  -   Report This Post

brendan

7th January 2023, 11:34
Hi Thepost,

26d - 6 letter "is" minus a letter/"shedding higher square" - definition is "leaves"

15a - 3 letter "saving" + 3 letter "city in Brazil" - definition is "Maybe Spanish Harlem"

23d - 7 letter "spitting" minus/"banning" "no good" - definition is "Italians with a hunch"
70 of 74  -   Report This Post