CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

candledave

31st December 2022, 13:28
14a includes an abbreviation for “advanced turboprop”

34d - definition is at the end and involves a word for talk without a certain letter
11 of 74  -   Report This Post

quixote

31st December 2022, 13:29
All done by 8 this morning, so nothing like as scary as it looked at first.

A very clever and original construction - not one that I've come across before - though not un-akin to the 3D calendar puzzles; the scytale should become a regular crossword format ( if it isn't already, missed by me).

I may have an advantage in having spent much of my professional life surveying, designing, making and installing metal balustrades for helical staircases, so the 3D visualisation of this particular geometry is second nature to me - a little thought at the start, and a common-sense assessment based on the numbering layout, gave me the repeat number and the approximate diameter of the helix very early on, and from there it was just a matter of worrying-out the rather clever clueing; cutting, pasting and wrapping weren't necessary.

The nature of the undefined thematic items also PD'd early, followed quickly by the identity of the 'work', wittily indicated in the preamble- although the timely four-word message only dawned on me towards the end - I'd had the wrong cliché-d coda in mind.

Very enjoyable on several levels - thank you, Kea - and a Happy New Year to all.
12 of 74  -   Report This Post

gitto

31st December 2022, 13:42
Thanks Candledave. After doing the mathematical modelling of the passenger doors of the Italian ATR42 and ATR72 in the mid-eighties I now feel very stupid that I couldn't see 14a!!!
13 of 74  -   Report This Post

gitto

31st December 2022, 15:49
I'm struggling with the message - but I am also shackled in the belief that the closing words referred to, 6 of, begin AATIAD.
14 of 74  -   Report This Post

candledave

31st December 2022, 15:59
Gitto, the message is four words and goes diagonally and it looks like you know what the first word should be so you should be able to spot it.
15 of 74  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

31st December 2022, 16:04
I’m in the same situation as gitto—I’ve inferred what appears to be the correct message but simply can’t find it in the grid! Will keep staring.
16 of 74  -   Report This Post

quixote

31st December 2022, 16:36
Gitto, Crowdedmorning - far too early to be too explicit - but as the preamble says "...read diagonally...rod of a different thickness." : different diameter, different periodicity. And "...timely...variation..."

[Nora - if that's giving too much away, shoot me down in great balls of fire.]
17 of 74  -   Report This Post

smithsax

31st December 2022, 17:16
I probably should not admit this but I cut out the strip and reassembled into a grid with the correct periodicity early on and it made completing the puzzle relatively easy.
I imagine Kea used the reverse of this cut and paste approach (twice) to construct the puzzle.
18 of 74  -   Report This Post

specsaver

31st December 2022, 19:10
Anyone here at Best of Enemies today - if you are, you’ll know what I mean!?
19 of 74  -   Report This Post

murky

1st January 2023, 09:01
I think rather too much is being revealed so early in the game. Pity.
20 of 74  -   Report This Post