CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

malone

23rd December 2022, 15:56
THE CLUES
Requests for help should normally include the clue itself, the number of letters in the answer, and details of any you already have. Any special instructions or additional information should also be included.
HINTS only, please, no answers.

THE THEME
Requests for help towards the theme can also be made here. Aim to give enough of a nudge to aid the solver, without revealing so much that it spoils the puzzle for others. Queries and answers which lead to too much information being given away are likely to be removed.The theme itself should not be revealed under any circumstances.

Early finishers should avoid allusions, jocular or otherwise, to the theme.
The Listener is a unique puzzle and should be trated with respect.
1 of 80  -   Report This Post

dylan

23rd December 2022, 17:10
Early days, but two thoughts:

Are the number of letters given for each solution always correct?

What does mistake 2 mean, “forgotten lines”?

Thanks
2 of 80  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

23rd December 2022, 17:38
Dylan. We are assuming that, where the answer and clue length disagree, it is a Type 4 clue. We are also taking your second query, and the preamble, literally to begin with and will introduce the appropriate normal abbreviation.
Hope this helps.
3 of 80  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

23rd December 2022, 19:16
Well, this doesn't bode well... I don't think I even understand the meanings of the first two categories of errors!
4 of 80  -   Report This Post

simond9x

23rd December 2022, 19:21
Start solving and things will start to make sense. I'm only halfway through (popped here to see if anyone had finished) but have encountered all 5 types.
5 of 80  -   Report This Post

quisling

23rd December 2022, 19:30
I finished a while ago. It’s a slightly odd puzzle, but the endgame is actually very straightforward. There shouldn’t even be any issues about the highlighting
6 of 80  -   Report This Post

candledave

23rd December 2022, 21:25
Another one that I found quite tricky in parts but really enjoyed it. Always like it when a setter tries something a bit different and this felt a bit more modern that some too.

Thanks Lionheart, also liked your German puzzle last year
7 of 80  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

24th December 2022, 12:01

Thank you Lionheart. An intriguing puzzle with interesting clueing mechanisms, which gave us a few headaches and wrong placements. Particularly liked 36 dn, having been stationed at both locations. Also liked 30 dn.
However, having a full grid, the message and the speaker, we’ve not found the 3 final references to the show - which is a bit of a bummer! Fortunately, we don’t submit, so we won’t be spending Christmas grid staring - we’ll leave that to Gitto!
Have a great Christmas.
8 of 80  -   Report This Post

kitsune

24th December 2022, 13:12
I thought that was a nice puzzle and a couple of the type 5s made me chuckle. Thank you, Lionheart.
9 of 80  -   Report This Post

gitto

24th December 2022, 13:24
Hi simplesimon, I haven't started the grid staring yet as I must have made several mistakes. With only 6 clues to solve I do not have any of the type 2. Assuming that there is an even number of each type that means there are only 2 or 4 of those, but I can't see them. I am also mystified about how to find the message.
10 of 80  -   Report This Post