CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

granama1

26th December 2022, 14:22
Sorry, Mullingar, not Mulligan. (Autoincorrect again).
41 of 80  -   Report This Post

0pt0

26th December 2022, 14:43
I have nearly filled the grid, but I am struggling with the last few clues:-

5 across: no idea what is happening here, or what type of clue it is. It looks as though it may be a type 5 clue.
22 across: ditto.
24 across: ditto.
45 across: the word-play produces 5 letters, which might make a West Londoner if I add "ing" in the middle of it. If so, it must be a type 5 clue
1 down: no idea what is happening here, or what type of clue it is. Could be a type 5 clue.
11 down: ditto
12 down: the first five words of the clue produce a word which will fit my grid at that location, but no idea how the rest of it works.
30 down: if this is a type 5 clue, I have probably solved it.

Somewhere amongst the above clues, I need at least one type 2 clue, as I do not have any in the clues I have solved.

Any hints would be gratefully received.
42 of 80  -   Report This Post

mullingar

26th December 2022, 14:58
OK. Thank you both. That's very helpful
43 of 80  -   Report This Post

murky

26th December 2022, 15:08
That's a lot you're asking for, 0pt0. Hints have already been given for 5, 24 and 25. You have 45a correct.

1d - answer is a film director, clue is a container with an internal reversal.
11d involves removing a single-letter abbreviation from a cosmetic company.
12d needs an amendment.

At least one in your list is a type 2 clue
44 of 80  -   Report This Post

0pt0

26th December 2022, 15:52
Many thanks, Murky. I had seen the previous hints you referred to, but they had not helped. However, I now have everything except 12 down, which I expect to be able to reverse-solve when I have worked out what the message is. Thanks again.
45 of 80  -   Report This Post

biblio

27th December 2022, 09:28
Murky - could you point me to the hint for 5? I can't find it in the thread. I have everything else done and parsed, so this one is bugging me!
46 of 80  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

27th December 2022, 15:36
I have what I believe to be a full grid, although several clues are unparsed, and I still don’t understand the concept of the second category of mistake.

I also have the name highlighted but for the life of me can’t find anything else to highlight! I’ve scoured the grid pretty meticulously so I must be missing something important about the cryptic nature of the hidden bits.
47 of 80  -   Report This Post

caphrist

27th December 2022, 16:22
Can't help with the category 2s, Crowdedmorning but if you've decoded the message and deduced the show, the three representations should be apparent.
48 of 80  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

27th December 2022, 17:22
crowdedmorning, interpret category 2 literally.
49 of 80  -   Report This Post

deulc

28th December 2022, 10:06
Really enjoyed that. The slightly made-up word answers add a new level of difficulty, as no online search finds them, so imagination is required! It would have been amusing to have the usual last two words in the message, but some sensibilities might have been offended....
50 of 80  -   Report This Post