CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

mooncow

1st January 2023, 22:40
What a delightful puzzle, with some truly novel features -- and although at first glance it looked like it was going to be fiendish, I found it yielded to quite a bit of logical deduction which helped me figure out some of the trickier clues. Great fun for the Christmas-NewYear interstix.

Re quixote@56 and others worried about the first word of the message, I have finally tracked down actual video clips of the speaker delivering the message and it really is exactly as the puzzle presents it. However, like many famous quotes (Play it again, Sam -- Luke, I am your father) it seems to be routinely misquoted with an alternative first word, which makes googling for the message doubly difficult until the speaker's name is uncovered.

I do have a couple of parsing queries just to put my mind at rest. I know 39a has been mentioned already, but I understand the answer and the definition and the alteration and it's just the wordplay I don't see -- where does the soft hat come in? And 47a I obviously have the answer and I know the clue type but again I can't see the wordplay. And 45a just befuddles me -- the wordplay is fine and I have the answer but while other clues of its type I can see the logic (and laughed out loud at some of them -- thanks Lionheart!) I just can't see why this would qualify. Any hints people can give to nudge me to satisfaction would be greatly appreciated.
71 of 80  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

1st January 2023, 23:40
Mooncow, 47 is a double def. Look up the word in Chambers. I don't what to say about 45, except setter's license. I too am still unclear on 39, even with all the hints.
72 of 80  -   Report This Post

jordan

2nd January 2023, 00:43
39's soft hat was a beret if i remember correctly and we had to omit the re/er. haven't got xword to hand to check if that is nonsense though
73 of 80  -   Report This Post

brendan

2nd January 2023, 00:50
Hi MPRS,

39a - 5 letter "soft hat" minus 2 letter "about" - definition is the "put on the ...." after the mistake has been taken into account.
74 of 80  -   Report This Post

mooncow

2nd January 2023, 01:21
Thanks all! Note to self: look up all words in BRB before posting… :-)
75 of 80  -   Report This Post

mathprofrockstar

2nd January 2023, 01:25
Thanks, jordan and brendan. I tried all the other "abouts" but didn't consider that one for some reason. D'oh!
76 of 80  -   Report This Post

mdmaylwin

17th January 2023, 20:53
I know this is very late - apologies - but in 1d (Director of silent film idol holds boss up) why does boss signify rad? As you can tell, it’s annoying me and the official notes don’t explain…
77 of 80  -   Report This Post

gem94

17th January 2023, 21:04
Look up Chambers - first definition of boss and third of rad both include excellent as a meaning
78 of 80  -   Report This Post

candledave

17th January 2023, 21:05
They both mean excellent
79 of 80  -   Report This Post

mdmaylwin

17th January 2023, 21:43
Many thanks!
80 of 80  -   Report This Post