CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

foinaven

28th December 2022, 11:06
I still do not get the wordplay for 5A, although the answer seems to be correct, with three checked letters and the right definition. I think I know how to interpret Type 2 since I can manage the other clues in this category, and, indeed, I can see how to apply the method to 5A, but it still does not work. Since I am pretty sure about the remainder of the grid, including the thematic elements, this does not matter a great deal but it is frustrating.
51 of 80  -   Report This Post

candledave

28th December 2022, 11:14
Foinaven - did you wonder why the preamble says “forgotten line(s)”?
52 of 80  -   Report This Post

foinaven

28th December 2022, 11:52
Your point is presumably that there might be more than one 'forgotten line' in the wordplay. I will pursue this and see if it makes sense.
53 of 80  -   Report This Post

foinaven

28th December 2022, 11:57
Thanks, Candledave, it all makes sense now, since it fixes what seemed redundant..
54 of 80  -   Report This Post

candledave

28th December 2022, 12:54
Glad you got it, I was trying not to be too explicit!
55 of 80  -   Report This Post

quixote

28th December 2022, 16:35
Nice to have finished, with some not very clearly understood parsings like 5a, and then get a late insight to a very pleasing jeu-de-croix like that as a bonus! I'm sure there will be more...

Strangely, I've been unable to find the message as a (truncated, bowdlerised) quote in online searches that include the full message and the speaker's name. I only get a version with the alternative conventional opening adjective, and no explicit connection to the obvious show, that I can see. Probably just me.

The three very cryptic representations of the show took me far too long to spot, too.

...but thanks, Lionheart.
56 of 80  -   Report This Post

ukridge

28th December 2022, 17:19
I have a full grid, the message and the speaker but cannot find the cryptic representations. Is the show alluded to the obvious one presented by the person addressed or one of the speaker's?
57 of 80  -   Report This Post

adeano

28th December 2022, 21:51
Really enjoyed this, quite different and quite tricky, the NE corner especially. The factual errors were great fun!

Two points of clarification please:

Can the missing lines (type 2) refer to a simple missing letter? As in, the line(s) that make up that letter are missing from the clue? I’ve identified two clues in which this is the only way I can parse them… The third and fourth of this type, if it helps

And I cannot parse 41 down. I know its type, pretty sure on the cryptic part, but then can’t make sense of what I think is the definition (first four words, or maybe first two)

Thanks!
58 of 80  -   Report This Post

adeano

28th December 2022, 21:55
Ukridge

Yes, it’s the obvious one. Took me a while to find them - my “in” was spotting a (pretty obvious) synonym of the first significant word in the show’s title, then looking nearby for the second. The three cryptic representations are of a kind.

Hope that helps!
59 of 80  -   Report This Post

ukridge

29th December 2022, 07:35
Thanks Adeano. My mistake was I was looking for more complete cryptic representations
60 of 80  -   Report This Post