CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

quisling

26th June 2022, 15:20
Sorry, greengage, I should have said in Bradford’s under what tumbler is a type of
71 of 216  -   Report This Post

ukridge

26th June 2022, 15:22
Ah quisling, thank you. I couldn't see that because my grid is an unholy mess!
72 of 216  -   Report This Post

greengage

26th June 2022, 15:25
Thanks again ukridge, quisling, haven't got that book, a lack I shall rectify tomorrow!
73 of 216  -   Report This Post

quisling

26th June 2022, 15:27
In which case my post didn’t help, greengage. The third letter is the same as the fifth
74 of 216  -   Report This Post

greengage

26th June 2022, 15:33
Renewed thanks quisling; that word is in fact in Chambers, in italics as a Dutch word from which the headword is derived, so the last sentence of the preamble is true!
75 of 216  -   Report This Post

quisling

26th June 2022, 15:37
Glad you sorted it out. It’s a pretty improbable pair of homophones, to be sure.
76 of 216  -   Report This Post

cockie

26th June 2022, 15:43
Far too much time spent on this, for very little pleasure, alas. I have at last found the first escapee, but he doesn't fetch up where I expected. Rather than ask too much to be given away here, would some kind person email me at mrbaddie at btinternet dot com for an exchange of thoughts. (Only 296 runs needed!)
77 of 216  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

26th June 2022, 17:29
A little under half of the clues solved so far, no clue about the theme but the grid is starting to look relatively healthily populated, which is nice.

There's plenty left I've yet to solve, but I am particularly flummoxed by 33dn ("Short butt marred new wine (5)"), because it looks extremely straightforward in both definition and wordplay, but there seems to be an extra word in the wordplay I can't account for (and if my definition is correct, this wouldn't be an "extra word" clue). Any nudges on this are welcome!
78 of 216  -   Report This Post

ukridge

26th June 2022, 17:36
Hi cr
Def is the last two words and a letter is missing from the third.
79 of 216  -   Report This Post

crowdedmorning

26th June 2022, 17:41
Thanks Ukridge, unfortunately that doesn't help—I was already using the last two words as definition and suspected the third word had the missing letter, but my confusion is that the first two words are complete as wordplay in my working. I can't figure out a way to require the third word.
80 of 216  -   Report This Post