CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

sarahb

15th May 2022, 14:36
Brilliant puzzle, and the reveal was amazing. We had initally glossed over the same baffling thing which I think other people had, and the pdm when we worked it out was really satsifying. its a slight pity that you didn't have to prove you'd made that final leap.
41 of 94  -   Report This Post

simplesimon

15th May 2022, 17:02
Thank you Aver. Absolutely wonderful end game.
42 of 94  -   Report This Post

andyp

15th May 2022, 20:24
Excellent puzzle, thought it was going to be a stinker given the combo of misprints and cyclic entry but it yielded gradually and was well worth it!
43 of 94  -   Report This Post

murky

16th May 2022, 17:44
I fail to see what's brilliant about the endgame. It seems quite weak in my opinion. Just changing one letter almost arbitrarily to get a sequence of three initials is hardly the result of a masterly grid construction. The grid itself had some odd discrepancies to disturb the symmetry. I can't believe they were necessary.
44 of 94  -   Report This Post

bobbycollins

16th May 2022, 18:13
I thought the same, Murky, and came here to query if my solution was correct. If you and I are correct, the final grid makes a nonsense of the two entries affected by the amended letter. That's not enough to qualify as a brilliant puzzle (in my book). It was, however, an immensely enjoyable and challenging solve for me.
45 of 94  -   Report This Post

buddy

16th May 2022, 18:26
I suspect what many here are referring to as a brilliant endgame refers to the message revealed by the 33 misprinted characters when read in grid entry order. As has already been noted it's only a shame that it was not necessary to do anything with that information (other than to marvel at it, which I guess is something).
46 of 94  -   Report This Post

smithsax

16th May 2022, 18:38
I completed the puzzle on Saturday and was rather underwhelmed, but I was busy and did not bother to work out the 33 misprint message which seemed unnecessary.
I had a spare moment today and so I worked out the message. So glad I did - it made my day.
Brilliant end game if not necessary for completing the puzzle.
Perhaps Aver should have had us write the next three words in the sequence below the grid.
47 of 94  -   Report This Post

quisling

16th May 2022, 19:07
Largely in agreement with murky and bobbycollins. I know many people dislike a grid stare, but the highlighting stood out like a sore thumb. It’s always a pity when the best thing about a puzzle is superfluous to its correct solution, so I think smithsax is right that something should have been done to require that final step to be made
48 of 94  -   Report This Post

williamseal

16th May 2022, 19:31
After a few barren weeks on both crosswords and sandbank (too many tourist boats scaring off the herrings) I am so pleased to have completed the grid and understood the excellent 31/33 misprints.

This time my however concerns the final part of the endgame. The initials of the condemned man amount to five letters according to google. And who memorialised him? There is a park in the place that, with a bit of luck, will win a cup on Saturday week? Is that where I should be looking for initials? I suspect I am missing something which is either obvious or very difficult . Any help welcome.

(On a less exalted note can any help me parse 28? where does 90 fit?)

However my thanks to Aver for a good workout.
49 of 94  -   Report This Post

brendan

16th May 2022, 19:39
Hi Williamseal,

I think you might have the wrong condemned man - if you ask Google "who is the condemned man in ......" all should become clear.
50 of 94  -   Report This Post