CancelReport This Post

Please fill out the form below with your name, e-mail address and the reason(s) you wish to report this post.

Crossword Help Forum
Forum Rules

hotelwhiskey7

15th May 2022, 09:06
Hmmm, no. Not sure where you’re getting that from - and I didn’t get the LS initials from your earlier post.

A search of the work associated with the thematic location should be all you need - the name isn’t mentioned in the work itself - and the last preamble instruction can be unambiguously carried out.
31 of 94  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

15th May 2022, 09:10
Ok, cancel that - I see what you mean and you’re quite correct. Apologies - I thought you were referring to James Wrasse or some such.

Then it should be a simple grid search, looking for two out of the three initials close together, with the third obtained by the change.
32 of 94  -   Report This Post

gitto

15th May 2022, 10:06
hw7, thank goodness for that! My post yesterday @23 was referring to the necessary letter change. Fortunately the cup final meant that I did not carry on with mindless grid staring as I was pretty convinced I was right - but I did learn a little more about the work in question when re-convincing myself earlier today.
33 of 94  -   Report This Post

norah (admin)

15th May 2022, 10:14
Hotelwhisky and everyone else.

Can I suggest that you start your post(s) with the name of the person to whom you are replying.

Even though you click on "Reply to this Post", the name of the recipient doesn't show on the forum itself so it isn't obvious which post you are referring to. Yesterday Hotelwhisky posted "wrong crime, wrong man ..." which was meaningless really as a lot of "crimes" take place in the Listener thread😢
34 of 94  -   Report This Post

0pt0

15th May 2022, 10:57
It appears to me that it is not necessary to understand the message from the 33 misprints in order to complete this puzzle. Would others agree?
35 of 94  -   Report This Post

hotelwhiskey7

15th May 2022, 11:03
0pt0 - quite correct. You’ll miss out on the reveal - but that’s a bonus to the solver and not required to complete.

Norah - happy to oblige. The crimes in question here were specific to this puzzle, as per the title (!)
36 of 94  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

15th May 2022, 11:12
I have a full grid, the messages and the thematic location and initials (after the stipulated amendment). But I cannot see the relevance of the “short” entries mentioned earlier in the thread. Can someone enlighten me without giving the game away?
37 of 94  -   Report This Post

gitto

15th May 2022, 11:54
Jack, look up the theme on wiki and see my post @21. Those clues are intrinsic to the 33 letter message.
38 of 94  -   Report This Post

jack aubrey

15th May 2022, 13:53
Thank you, Gitto. A case of “a little learning”: I had caught on to the “big reveal” fairly early and so did not read the 33 letter message as scrupulously as necessary.

An absolute belter! Thank you, Aver.
39 of 94  -   Report This Post

useby

15th May 2022, 14:01
A very pleasant solve with everything falling into place satisfactorily. The end game was a treat. I particularly enjoyed the part with the misprints that enhanced the experience when followed to its conclusion. The bit with the initials required a couple of read-throughs for it to sink in what was being asked, but straightforward in the end. A lovely puzzle.
40 of 94  -   Report This Post